Connectionists: study abroad program for undergraduates

Érdi Péter erdi.peter at wigner.mta.hu
Mon Jan 2 16:49:39 EST 2023

Dear All:

You may or may not remember that there is a study abroad program, Budapest
Semester in Cognitive Science (for details, see https://www.bscs-u
s.org/). We opened it in 2004, and after three years of break, we are
enthusiastically reopening it in Fall 2023. After the pandemic,
we take a new start by integrating traditional values with unique aspects.

Cognitive science is in the overlapping area of hard and social sciences.
Its main goal is the interdisciplinary study of the mind. By
understanding how your and others' minds work, you may have a selective
advantage in managing your life in an uncertain and competitive
world. The program is open and appropriate for undergraduates, typically
in their junior years. Many students from biology, psychology, computer
science, and philosophy, but we had chemistry, physics, and history
students who benefited from participating in BSCS.

A transcript is provided by the EĂśtvĂśs LorĂĄnd University, the most
historical university in Hungary. Budapest is known as one of the most
beautiful cities in the world. It contains the flat Pest and the hilly
Buda separated by Danube (Duna in Hungarian). Cheap flights densely
connect the city to many European cities, so students can visit  many of
them during the weekends.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Peter Erdi
Henry Luce Professor of Complex Systems Studies, Kalamazoo College
Founding Co-Director of the BSCS, Budapest
perdi at kzoo.edu