Connectionists: Annotated History of Modern AI and Deep Learning

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Sat Feb 4 19:23:48 EST 2023

A bit more history, on the possibility that it might be of use to future students of our contentious AI times, and in the spirit of the Elvis quote below:

2015: Gary Marcus writes, somewhat loosely, in a trade book (The Future of the Brain)
> “Hierarchies of features are less suited to challenges such as language, inference, and high-level planning. For example, as Noam Chomsky famously pointed out, language is filled with sentences you haven't seen before. Pure classifier systems don't know what to do with such sentences. The talent of feature detectors -- in  identifying which member of some category something belongs to -- doesn't translate into understanding novel sentences, in which each sentence has its own unique meaning.”

Sometime thereafter: Turing Award winner Geoff Hinton enshrines the quote on his own web page, with ridicule, as “My Favorite Gary Marcus quote”; people in the deep learning community circulate it on Facebook and Twitter, mocking Marcus.

October 2019: Geoff Hinton, based perhaps primarily on the quote, warns a crowd of researchers at Toronto to not waste their time listening to Marcus. (Hinton’s email bounces, because it was sent from the wrong address). Hinton’s view is that language has been solved, by Google Translate; in his eyes, Marcus is a moron.

[Almost three years pass; ridicule of Marcus continues on major social media]

February 2023: Hinton’s fellow Turing Award winner Yann LeCun unleashes a Tweetstorm, saying that “LLMs such as ChatGPT can eloquently spew complete nonsense. Their grasp of reality is very superficial” and that “ [LLM] make very stupid mistakes of common-sense that a 4 year-old, a chimp, a dog, or a cat would never make. LLMs have a more superficial understanding of the world than a house cat.”

Marcus receives many emails wondering whether LeCun has switched sides. On Twitter, people ask whether Marcus has hacked LeCun’s Twitter account.

The quote from Marcus, at the bottom of Hinton’s home page, remains.