Connectionists: [Deadline Extension] NeurIPS 2022 Workshop on Information-Theoretic Principles in Cognitive Systems

Noga Zaslavsky nogazs at mit.edu
Tue Sep 20 19:45:36 EDT 2022

*Call for papers: NeurIPS 2022 Workshop on Information-Theoretic Principles
in Cognitive Systems*

- *Submission deadline: September 29, 2022*
- https://sites.google.com/view/infocog-neurips2022

We are thrilled to invite submissions to the NeurIPS 2022 workshop on
Information-Theoretic Principles in Cognitive Systems. This
interdisciplinary workshop aims to explore new avenues for progress toward
an integrative computational theory of human and artificial cognition, by
leveraging information-theoretic principles as bridges between various
cognitive functions and neural representations. To this end, we aim to
bring together researchers from machine learning, cognitive science,
neuroscience, linguistics, economics, and other fields, who are interested
in information-theoretic approaches to cognitive systems.

*Submissions:* We invited short paper submissions (up to 4 pages),
describing either unpublished work, including preliminary work in progress,
or work that has recently been published at non machine learning venues.
The workshop is considered a non-archival venue, which means that
acceptance should not interfere with future submissions to journals or
conference proceedings. A subset of accepted papers will be invited for a
full-length article submission to a special issue of Open Mind
<https://direct.mit.edu/opmi>, dedicated to the topic of the workshop.

Examples of specific topics of interest include but are not limited to:

   - Novel information-theoretic approaches to cognitive functions (e.g.,
   perception, decision making, language, social reasoning, etc.)
   - Machine learning tools for scaling up information-theoretic models of
   cognition
   - Applications of information theory to training human-aligned
   artificial agents, i.e., agents that can better communicate and cooperate
   with humans
   - Challenges and limitations of the use of information theory in
   studying cognitive systems

The full call for papers and submission guidelines can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/view/infocog-neurips2022/call-for-papers

*Funding and participation:* The workshop will be hybrid, welcoming both
virtual and in-person participants, as part of NeurIPS 2022 in New Orleans.
To facilitate in-person participation, we expect to have a limited amount
of funding to support a few selected presenters of accepted papers.

*Important dates*

   - Submission deadline: September 29, 2022 (anywhere on earth)
   - Author notification: October 15, 2022
   - Workshop date: December 3, 2022

Questions and correspondence pertaining to the workshop should be addressed
to infocog.neurips at gmail.com

We hope to see you all at the workshop!

Best regards,
The Organizers