Connectionists: Mindvoyage | Carl F Craver on Nov 3rd @ 16:00 CET

Brown, Tanya tanya.brown at ae.mpg.de
Mon Oct 17 11:24:16 EDT 2022

[Inline image OWAPstImg400009]

The Mindvoyage lecture series features prominent scholars from different disciplines
including the humanities, biology, neuroscience and physics. Talks are dedicated to engaging
in discussions related to novel, distinct and often controversial topics.

The next talk, featuring  Carl F Craver on Thursday Nov 3 @ 16:00 CET
This talk will take place on zoom

All are welcome to join this free talk, but registration is required.

REGISTER HERE<https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Y2gkTJszQ-iDzs05hiP9fQ>

[Inline image OWAPstImg855956]

Abstract
Following the outline of a recent paper with Jolien Fracken and Marc Slors, I lay out three interlocking problem for any effort to appeal to neural mechanism as the grounds for important decisions about a) the ontology of cognitive science, b) the justification of experimental operationalizations in cognitive science. That is, I argue we should jettison any simplistic idea that we can read the ontology of higher levels off the mechanistic structure of the world. To drive this point home, I close by considering the two lives of episodic memory: one life as a computational cognitive operation definable in terms of its computation and algorithm, and the other life as an epistemic achievement. I argue that any putative reduction relation among these is guilty of a category mistake, but that both are nonetheless legitimate ways of carving the human mind for different intellectual purposes. We should learn to live with that disconnect between the taxonomies we need to understand minds and the taxonomies we need to understand how they are implemented in brain mechanisms.

FOR MORE INFORMATION
https://www.arc-cogitate.com/events/mindvoyage-carl-craver

REGISTRATION LINK
https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Y2gkTJszQ-iDzs05hiP9fQ

Hosted by Lucia Melloni<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en/the-institute/people/lucia-melloni-en.html> and Tanya Brown<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en/the-institute/people/tanya-brown.html> from the
Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en.html>,
on behalf of the ARC-COGITATE<https://arc-cogitate.com/> Consortium
[Inline image OWAPstImg654048]

Please note, that I am out-of-office with intermittent access to email Oct 10 - 25th, 2022. I will do my best to reply to your email in the interim.

My working hours may not be yours, respond in your own time

Tanya Brown

Scientific Coordinator  |  ARC-Cogitate<https://arc-cogitate.com>

Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en.html><https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en.html>

<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en.html>Grüneburgweg 14, 60322 Frankfurt am Main, Germany