Connectionists: I was just awarded the Lotfi A. Zadeh Pioneer award from the IEEE SMC Society

Grossberg, Stephen steve at bu.edu
Fri Oct 14 11:21:33 EDT 2022

Dear Connectionists Colleagues,

I was just awarded the Lofti A. Zadeh Pioneer Award from the IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society for “seminal contributions to understanding brain cognition and behavior and their emulation by technology.”

These contributions are summarized in my recently published Magnum Opus:

Conscious Mind, Resonant Brain: How Each Brain Makes a Mind

https://www.amazon.com/Conscious-Mind-Resonant-Brain-Makes/dp/0190070552

I wrote this book to be self-contained and non-technical in a conversational tone for the general public, no less than for students and researchers in science, engineering, and AI

As many of you may know, Lotfi Zadeh introduced and developed the field of Fuzzy Logic into a wide-ranging and highly influential contribution to science and engineering. His impact is illustrated by the fact that his work has been cited 235,570 times:
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=S6H-0RAAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao

My acceptance statement is summarized below:

I feel greatly honored to be awarded a Lotfi A. Zadeh Pioneer Award of the IEEE SMC Society. Lotfi was a personal friend as well as a scientist and engineer whom I greatly admired.

We also both shared a history of being PIONEERS who introduced and developed many of the foundational concepts and models of our fields, his the field of Fuzzy Logic and its related branches, and me the fields of biological and artificial neural networks, computational neuroscience, and theoretical psychology and cognitive neuroscience.

Your award to me for my contributions to understanding brain cognition and behavior and their emulation in technology beautifully summarizes what my life’s work is all about. Thanks VERY much for this wonderful honor. I will always treasure it.