Connectionists: cfp 'Neurocomputational models of language processing'

Michael Zock michael.zock at lis-lab.fr
Mon Nov 14 06:01:24 EST 2022

Dear colleagues,

could you please be so kind and disseminate the call for papers for the
following research topic :

*Neurocomputational models of language processing***

https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/49147/neurocomputational-models-of-language-processing

Markus J. Hofmann (General and Biological Psychology‪, University of
Wuppertal, Germany)

Harm Brouwer (Psycholinguistics, Language Science and Technology,
Saarland University, Germany)

Ya-Nin Chang, MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences, University of Cambridge, UK)

Michael Zock (CNRS, AMU, LIS-lab, Marseille, France)

Neuroscience, Speech and Language, Behavioural Data, Neuroimaging Data,
Language Production and Comprehension, Machine Learning, Deep Learning

Abstract Submission Deadline : 15 March 2023

Manuscript Submission Deadline 15 November 2023

Our ability to produce and understand language involves a complex,
dynamic interaction between different types of knowledge, involving
orthographic, phonological, semantic, syntactic, and pragmatic
representations, as well as knowledge of the world. Moreover, given that
discourse rapidly unfolds at the rate of several words per second, these
representations need to be activated, retrieved and/or computed in real
time. Informed by behavioral and neuroimaging data, explicit
neurocomputational models of language processing seek to offer
mechanistic explanations of the representations and computations that
underlie online language production and comprehension.

Neural models from the field of machine learning and particularly deep
learning are only the most recent developments in this field. Localist
and distributed connectionist models, advanced measurement models like
diffusion models, and expert systems are alternative formal approaches
able to capture various aspects of language processing. Finally,
probabilistic language models as well as corpus-based approaches are
powerful computational techniques, which, taken together, may enhance
our understanding of language in terms of how it is represented and
processed in the human brain.

In this Research Topic, we invite submissions that combine such
neurocomputational models of language processing with human neuroimaging
and behavioral data. The manuscripts can be submitted to Frontiers in
Human Neuroscience and may contain sophisticated neural simulations of
specific aspects of language processing. These submissions can either
deepen our understanding of unimpaired language processing or shed light
on language disorders or developmental aspects of language.
Alternatively, the papers can be submitted to Frontiers in Artificial
Intelligence and thus may highlight the state-of-the-art in natural
language processing (NLP). Given this broad spectrum, topics may range
from models that seek to explain electrophysiological and functional
imaging data to neurally inspired computational models explaining
eye-tracking eye-tracking or reading time data. With this special issue,
we hope to provide a comprehensive overview of the latest developments
in the neurocomputational modelling of human language production and
comprehension.

--

Michael ZOCK

Emeritus Research Director CNRS