Connectionists: [meetings] CRNS Talk Series (8) - Live Talk by Dr. Ben Robins - The University of Hertfordshire - UK

Amir Aly amir.kalfat at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:34:01 EDT 2022

Dear All

* *Apologies for cross-posting* *

The* Center for Robotics and Neural Systems* (CRNS) is pleased to announce
the talk of *Dr. **Ben Robins* from the* University of Hertfordshire* - UK
on Wednesday, *May 11th *from *11:00 am *to *12:30 pm* (*London time*) over
*Zoom*.

>> *Events*: The CRNS talk series will cover a wide range of topics
including social and cognitive robotics, computational neuroscience,
computational linguistics, cognitive vision, machine learning, AI, and
applications to autism. More details are available here:

 https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/research/robotics-neural-systems/whats-on
<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.plymouth.ac.uk%2Fresearch%2Frobotics-neural-systems%2Fwhats-on&data=04%7C01%7Camir.aly%40plymouth.ac.uk%7Ccc2c14f8cea84b5ca57008d9e66bc8f7%7C5437e7eb83fb4d1abfd3bb247e061bf1%7C1%7C0%7C637794174088133015%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=WvbN9fuNT6UfUlocuG0asp9iUHev227dEAHAFz00p34%3D&reserved=0>

>> *Link for the next event (No Registration is Required)*:

Join Zoom Meeting

https://plymouth.zoom.us/j/94154285676?pwd=eTFTRHZ1c2lHRXVpVVFHUStUbDNGQT09&from=addon

>> *Title of the talk*:  Robots as therapeutic tools: Encouraging social
interaction skills in children with autism

*Abstract*:

The talk will present several robots including the childlike robot KASPAR
which was developed at the University of Hertfordshire, UK, and the ways in
which the robots can engage autistic children in simple interactive
activities such as turn-taking and imitation games, and how the robots
assume the role of a social mediator - encouraging children with autism to
interact with other people (children and adults).

The talk will also present several case study examples taken from the work
with children with autism at schools and at family homes, showing the
possible implementation of KASPAR for therapeutic or educational
objectives. These case studies show how the robot can:

* helps to break the isolation

* encourages the use of language,

* mediates child-child or child-adult interaction,

* helps children with autism manage collaborative play,

* compliments the work in the classroom

* provides the opportunity for basic embodied and cognitive  learning (e.g.
cause and effect; exploring basic emotions such as ‘happy’ and ‘sad’;
Visual Perspective Taking skills).

* at home – brings the family together

>> If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me,

Regards

*Dr. Amir Aly*

Lecturer in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics

Center for Robotics and Neural Systems (CRNS)

School of Engineering, Computing, and Mathematics

Room B332, Portland Square, Drake Circus, PL4 8AA

University of Plymouth, UK