Connectionists: Rising Stars in AI Symposium at KAUST: Protocol Flaws

Danko Nikolic danko.nikolic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 01:48:59 EDT 2022

Thank you Juyang,

" Please suggest what we should do, as much resource is being wasted."

A suggestion: Have a student or a group of students redo the studies (at
least those for which the code and data are available) and publish the
correct performance results.

Write down: The original study reported the performance of A. The true
performance is B. And B < A.

This is a lot of work. I know.

Would you say that this entire issue is a part of the general replicability
crisis in science?

Danko

Dr. Danko Nikolić
www.danko-nikolic.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/danko-nikolic/
--- A progress usually starts with an insight ---

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 1:00 AM Juyang Weng <juyang.weng at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> interesting. Thank you for that. I am amazed that the extent of the problem
>> is so high.
>>
>> I also learned something. I am now completing one study and I realize I
>> did not decouple the random seeds. Thank you for pointing out the need for
>> such decoupling.
>>
>> Here some comments from my side:
>>
>>  - you mention that the results are "misleading", but it seems to me that
>> a more strong term should be used: the results are "too optimistic". The
>> real performances are worse than what has been reported.
>>
>>   - found a typo: at one place "ransom seed" should be "random seed".
>>
>>    - a minor comment: You say: " This is similar to, but more transparent
>> than, so-called p-value in statistical science. " I would say that  the two
>> things are not too similar. Reporting average + SD is more similar to
>> standard error of the measurement.
>>
>>   Finally, I have a question: How about other papers in Nature that you
>> did not mention? Are there any other papers that have done it right? Should
>> they be mentioned too? Or in other words, do you have any impression of
>> which percentage of papers have done it right? Is it maybe that all of the
>> papers are misleading? Or maybe the split is 50-50?
>>
>> I hope you don't mind me sending my thoughts.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Danko
>>

>> Dr. Danko Nikolić
>> www.danko-nikolic.com
>> https://www.linkedin.com/in/danko-nikolic/
>> --- A progress usually starts with an insight ---
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 7:53 AM Juyang Weng <juyang.weng at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Juergen,
>>> Your service is appreciated but what you are doing is risky.
>>> I predict that a large number of them, if not all, are "rising stars" of
>>> protocol flaws.
>>> Please read why:
>>> ------------------------------
>>> Message: 2
>>> Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 17:21:37 -0500
>>> From: Juyang Weng <juyang.weng at gmail.com>
>>> To: Post Connectionists <connectionists at mailman.srv.cs.cmu.edu>
>>> Subject: Connectionists: A challenge to Post-Selections in Deep
>>>         Learning
>>>
>>> Through a review of AI papers published in Nature since 2015, this report
>>> discusses the technical flaws called Post-Selection in the charged
>>> papers.
>>> This report suggests the appropriate protocol, explains reasons for the
>>> protocol, why what the papers have done is inappropriate and therefore
>>> yields misleading results. The charges below are applicable to whole
>>> systems and system components, and in all learning modes, including
>>> supervised, reinforcement, and swarm learning modes, since the concepts
>>> about training sets, validation sets, and test sets all apply. A
>>> reinforcement-learning algorithm includes not only a handcrafted form of
>>> task-specific, desired answers but also values of all answers, desired
>>> undesired. A supervised learning method typically does not provide values