Connectionists: [jobs] Senior machine learning researcher at Secondmind Labs, Bayesian optimization team

Hrvoje Stojic hrvoje.stojic at protonmail.com
Sat Mar 12 07:58:38 EST 2022

This is an exciting opportunity to join a team at the forefront of artificial intelligence and machine learning. Secondmind Labs is a team of twelve researchers and engineers that provides internal expertise for our product, and explores innovative ideas that can improve the state of the art in probabilistic models and active learning. In the past four years our team has published over 75 papers and filed 10 patents. Our main areas of expertise are probabilistic modelling and Bayesian optimization.

You will be working in highly collaborative research teams developing algorithms that are theoretically rigorous, yet scalable to domains of real-world complexity, with the aim of publishing papers at leading machine learning conferences, and integrating your research directly into our products. This means lots of variety, and involves working on both client projects and internal product development.

What will you be responsible for?

As a member of Secondmind’s Bayesian optimization research team, you will be expected to develop your own research program, with a view to developing new tools and techniques. In addition to conducting novel research, you will also be expected to contribute to customer projects, assisting in the application of cutting edge machine learning research to real world problems. Finally, this position is also an opportunity to take an active role in the development of our open source libraries GPflow, GPflux and Trieste.

What skills, experience, and qualifications do you need to succeed in this role?

You will hold a PhD in a technical field, or have an equivalent level of experience, having published work in leading machine learning, statistics or optimization conferences and/or journals.

A strong background in Bayesian optimisation and probabilistic modelling is essential, along with experience in numerical programing (Python/NumPy/Tensorflow/PyTorch). Experience in any of the fields of variational inference, active learning or reinforcement learning are desirable but not essential.

You will be keen to work as part of a team, to review documents and code, and to provide constructive feedback. You have a passion to continuously develop your own machine learning and research skills, and to help others to improve theirs.

About Secondmind.ai

Secondmind exists to help automotive innovators design better cars in less time, and achieve greater sustainability through machine learning. The company’s Active Learning Platform, which is underpinned by years of award-winning applied machine learning research and development, enables car makers and the automotive development ecosystem at large overcome increasing complexity in model-based development and accelerate the transition to Connected, Automated, Shared, and Electrified vehicles. Secondmind was founded in 2016 and is backed by leading venture funds including Amadeus Capital, Atlantic Bridge, and Cambridge Innovation Capital, among others.

What we’ll offer you

Here at Secondmind we believe happy employees make a successful business! Along with a creative and innovative work environment, we offer our employees learning & development opportunities through mentoring, sharing experiences and paper publications. To support in putting our employees first, we have worked to create an energetic and fun working environment, including:

- Games Nights*
- Sports groups (e.g. running, basketball, climbing)
- Employee lead Yoga and Zumba classes*
- Team Away Days*

*Currently remote due to COVID restrictions.

Various contractual benefits include:

- Competitive salary
- Contributory Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme
- 25 days annual leave, plus statutory bank holidays
- Stock Options scheme (EMI or Unapproved, depending on context)

We also offer our employees various non-contractual benefits to take advantage of:

- Private Medical Insure and Dental Insurance
- Group Life Assurance
- Gym Membership
- Botanical Garden Pass
- Bike to Work Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Relocation assistance (where applicable)

Job Location

We have an office in Cambridge, UK. Secondmind currently follows the latest UK Government guidelines on office-based work, however, we will continue to be flexible in offering hybrid and fully remote working from within the UK.
For further information about the role, please contact Hrvoje Stojic (hrvoje.stojic at secondmind.ai).
http://hstojic.re/