Connectionists: Scientific Integrity, the 2021 Turing Lecture, etc.

Stephen Jose Hanson stephen.jose.hanson at rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 30 10:22:52 EDT 2022

So as usual clearly written but without a lot of  context.

Juregen you are part of history not a historian.

Now on the one hand I really do appreciate your attempts to revive my Stochastic delta rule as a precursor to DROP-OUT.
And I know that Geoff spent some time explaining how he thought of Drop-out at a train station or somewhere with queues
and it made him think of some sort of stochastic process at the hidden layer across the queues..etc.. and its notable that he and I had a conversation in 1990 at NIPS in Denver...and he asked me..."how did you come up with this algorithm?"  I said it seemed like a nice compromise between BP and a BolzMs..  but again there can be convergent lines of invention..

I think the thing that is important in all of this requires the author--with their own judgement (and reviewers) to determine-- what is really basic level to the research instead of superordinate..  as calculus is to Backprop..   or Sumerian counting is to calculus...etc... and fishing was to counting.. etc..

Steve