Connectionists: Mindvoyage Lecture Series | Romain Brette

Brown, Tanya tanya.brown at ae.mpg.de
Thu Jun 16 04:27:53 EDT 2022

[cid:6968cb06-0fef-4793-9a95-6a17b9dac634]

The Mindvoyage lecture series features prominent scholars from different disciplines including the humanities, biology, neuroscience and physics.
Talks are dedicated to engaging in discussions related to
novel, distinct and often controversial topics.

The next talk will feature Romain Brette on June 30 @ 16:00 CET

All are welcome, but registration is required.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/institut/veranstaltungen/mindvoyage/mindvoyage-detailansicht/article/mindvoyage-romain-brette.html>

[cid:9682d670-5d85-4121-a476-af734c4ce3d3]<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/institut/veranstaltungen/mindvoyage/mindvoyage-detailansicht/article/mindvoyage-romain-brette.html>

Abstract |  What is "information" for an organism?

The concept of information plays a central role in theories of consciousness, and more generally cognition. Typically, a variable X in the brain is claimed to be informative if it covaries with some other variable Y in the world. This narrow view of information is misleading, because a value cannot be informative by itself: the number 100 only becomes information once I know that it refers to the number of square meters of my apartment, provided I know what square meters and apartments are. The first requirement is that information has a truth value: it can be true or false. In other words, information is propositional: “the winner of the election is Donald Trump” is information, but “Donald Trump” is not information. The second requirement is that information requires an agent with knowledge. I will discuss the implications of these remarks for neuroscientific theories.

Registration Link
https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/institut/veranstaltungen/mindvoyage/mindvoyage-detailansicht/article/mindvoyage-romain-brette.html

Hosted by Lucia Melloni<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en/the-institute/people/lucia-melloni-en.html> and Tanya Brown<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en/the-institute/people/tanya-brown.html> from the
Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en.html>,
on behalf of the ARC-COGITATE<https://arc-cogitate.com/> Consortium

[cid:image001.png at 01D8816B.BB14DCA0]

My working hours may not be yours, respond in your own time

Tanya Brown

Scientific Coordinator  |  ARC-Cogitate

Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en.html>

Grüneburgweg 14, 60322 Frankfurt am Main, Germany

tanya.brown at ae.mpg.de<mailto:tanya.brown at ae.mpg.de>

[1622818538171]<https://arc-cogitate.com/>