Connectionists: Geoff Hinton, Elon Musk, and a bet at garymarcus.substack.com

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Fri Jun 10 23:26:36 EDT 2022

Let’s review:

Hinton accuses me of not setting clear criteria.

I offer 6 reasonably clear criteria.

A significant sample of the ML community elsewhere applauds the criteria, and engages seriously.

Hinton says it’s deranged to discuss them; after that, nobody here dares.

Hanson derides the whole project and stacks the deck; ignores the cold fusion, flying jet packs, driverless taxis, and so on that haven’t become practical despite promises, citing only the numerator but not the denominator of history, further stifling any serious discussion of what Hinton’s requested targets might be.

Was Hinton’s request for clear criteria agenuine good faith request? Does anyone on this list have better criteria? Do you always find it appropriate to tag team people for responding to requests in good faith?

Open scientific discussion, literally for decades a hallmark of this list, appears to have left the building. Very unfortunate.

Gary