Connectionists: Geoff Hinton, Elon Musk, and a bet at garymarcus.substack.com

Geoffrey Hinton geoffrey.hinton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 14:50:02 EDT 2022

If you make a bet, you need to be very clear about what counts as success
and you need to assume the person who has to pay out will quibble.
You cannot have a real bet that includes phrases like:

"tell you accurately"
"reliably answer questions"
"competent cook"
"reliably construct"

A bet needs to have such clear criteria for whether it has been achieved or
not that even Gary Marcus could not quibble.

Geoff