Connectionists: [jobs] Research Associate - Deep learning for intelligent robot interaction

Stefan Wermter stefan.wermter at uni-hamburg.de
Wed Jun 1 11:41:47 EDT 2022

At the University of Hamburg, Dept of Informatics,  Knowledge
Technology, we are looking for applications for a research associate in
neural knowledge technology for intelligent robotic systems.

Topic: MoreSpace:  Modeling of a Robot’s Peripersonal Space and Body
Schema for Adaptive Learning and Imitation
Salary level: 13 TV-L
Start date:  1. August 2022 or as soon as possible, for a period of
three years
Application deadline: 10 June 2022

This novel exciting project MoreSpace concentrates on research, design,
development and evaluation of neurocomputational deep learning methods
for intelligent robot assistants to explore human-robot interaction.  In
particular the project MoreSpace includes research into modeling a
robot’s peripersonal space and body schema for adaptive learning and
imitation. Our research questions focus on a) adaptive decision-making
with conflicting sensations and b) on self-other transfer and imitation
learning. We will develop a novel conflict-driven attention mechanism by
considering psychological phenomena that involve conflicting sensations.
Furthermore, we will develop learning from observation by developing a
projection mechanism to map an observer’s body schema to an observed
agent. We expect the resulting framework to improve the capabilities of
robotic agents to handle conflicting sensor data and to improve
human-robot interaction scenarios in the context of the different
morphologies of the NICO and NICOL robots. Our experiments will take
place in a table-top scenario and mainly involve object manipulation
experiments, including block-stacking and tool-use tasks. Together with
our collaborators, we will first conduct robot-robot interaction and
later human-robot-interaction experiments. More info about the MoreSpace
project and our research at
https://www.inf.uni-hamburg.de/en/inst/ab/wtm/research.html

Requirements:
An advanced university degree in a relevant field related to the
research topic above. Preference will be given to candidates with a
completed PhD in Computer Science or being at an advanced level towards
it with specialization in artificial intelligence, intelligent robotics
and neural networks. We expect experience in machine learning technology
and programming skills in Python and PyTorch. Experience with robots,
robotic simulators and robotic systems is an advantage. Your
demonstrated research experience and international-level publications
should be in some of the areas of Neural Networks, Robotics, Machine
Learning, Vision or Natural Language Processing. Very good communication
skills in English and in German desired.

For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Stefan Wermter
(stefan.wermter at uni-hamburg.de) or consult our website at
https://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/wtm/

Applications should include a cover letter, a tabular curriculum vitae,
and copies of degree certificate(s). For more details on how to apply
please go to:

https://www.uni-hamburg.de/en/stellenangebote/ausschreibung.html?jobID=6da75f67a01decbaeed7f9b7811c48df176e680f

Please pass on to a qualified candidate.

Professor Dr. Stefan Wermter
Director of Knowledge Technology
Department of Informatics
University of Hamburg
Vogt-Koelln-Str. 30
22527 Hamburg, Germany

Email: stefan dot wermter AT uni-hamburg.de
https://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/WTM/