Connectionists: Tools for AI

Rothganger, Fredrick frothga at sandia.gov
Wed Jul 20 09:13:15 EDT 2022

Richard Loosemore said:

> 2) An AI/Cognitive system development tool that would allow people to build and explore complex cognitive systems without being shackled to one particular architecture (like deep learning and its many descendents).

The model of open-source community software development can address this. We can build some very big things without grant support, if we share a vision of what to build. This of course goes back to the need to gain mind-share among our fellow researchers.

Regarding DL tools -- The notion of a computational graph that chains functions together via data-flow, where the primary data type is a tensor, is quite general. It does not restrict you to only DL.

Finally, a small advertisement for N2A (https://github.com/frothga/n2a). This is a dynamical-system modeling tool that a couple of neuroscientists and I designed about 10 years ago, and which I actively develop. It's long-term goal is to provide a framework for describing the computation of the entire brain. Of course, that requires getting community mind-share, particularly among neuroscientists, and there are numerous other neuroinformatic and simulation tools out there. The distinction is that N2A is designed from the ground up to integrate very large and complex models.
[https://opengraph.githubassets.com/c7d6fb77fcaac8f95f3f7d0b74243e98353f74454e7c40de473c10add7fa1db4/frothga/n2a]<https://github.com/frothga/n2a>
GitHub - frothga/n2a: An object-oriented language for modeling large-scale neural systems, along with an IDE for writing and simulating models.<https://github.com/frothga/n2a>
An object-oriented language for modeling large-scale neural systems, along with an IDE for writing and simulating models. - GitHub - frothga/n2a: An object-oriented language for modeling large-scale neural systems, along with an IDE for writing and simulating models.
github.com