Connectionists: Call for submissions to the ICDL 2022 workshop on neurodiversity of cognitive feelings

nagai.yukie at mail.u-tokyo.ac.jp nagai.yukie at mail.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Wed Jul 13 21:07:36 EDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

We are going to organize the following workshop at IEEE International Conference on Development and Learning (ICDL 2022), which will be held in London, UK on September 12-15. We invite submissions of extended abstracts (1-2 pages) of ongoing research that focuses on one or several of our listed topics below. Accepted submission will be considered for symposium talks or as part of a poster session.

Workshop on Neurodiversity of Cognitive Feelings
https://sites.google.com/view/icdl-cognitive-feeling

ICDL 2022
https://icdl2022.qmul.ac.uk

[ Theme of the workshop ]
>From the general conception of our own subjective experiences, and from behavioural and neuroimaging research we know that affective emotional states can influence our cognitive functions. While the existence of this relationship is generally accepted, understanding the neural mechanisms that lead to individual diversity remains an open question that requires continued development of understanding and assessment of individual cognitive abilities. One of the suggested pathways includes the perception of emotional sensations that are experienced towards multisensory perception systems with a cognitive feeling. Cognitive feeling can be described as a sense of confidence, knowing, familiarity, distinguishing reality and fluency of information from multisensory perceptual experiences (Clore and Parrott, 1994; Arango-Muñoz 2014). Where emotional sensations, or affective feelings, are the result of perceived multisensory integration such as liking, disliking, or fear, arousal. Each kind of feeling is then providing information about different system. The affective feeling provides information on whether what is perceived is positive or negative with regards to our expectations. The cognitive feeling is the informational source of our expectations, knowing and understanding the multisensory information. The principles of cognitive feeling can be applied in developmental and cognitive robotics (Asada et al. 2009; Tani 2016), predictive coding theories (Friston & Kiebel 2009; Friston 2010), computational psychiatry (Montague et al. 2012), and behavioural studies through the verification of virtual reality-based approaches.

[ Welcomed topics ]
Affective Neuroscience
Affective Computation
Interoception
Self-awareness and self-recognition
Rubber hand illusion and bodily illusion
Sense of agency
Sense of presence
Psychiatric disorder and developmental disorder
Consciousness
Brain-body interactions
Metacognitive feeling

[ Keynote speakers ]
• Professor Sarah Garfinkel, Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, University College London, UK
• Dr Sophie Betka, The École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland
• Professor Tony Prescott, Department of Computer Science, The University of Sheffield, UK

[ Submission ]
Extended abstract submission guidelines can be found on the workshop website (https://sites.google.com/view/icdl-cognitive-feeling), which should be sent to Sean D. Lynch (lynch.sean at mail.u-tokyo.ac.jp) by August 13, 2022. Please write in the subject line “ICDL 2022 neurodiversity workshop submission”.

[ Important dates ]
Submission deadline: August 13, 2022
Notification of acceptance: August 27, 2022
Workshop: September 12, 2022

[ Organizers ]
Sean Lynch (The University of Tokyo)
Keisuke Suzuki (Hokkaido University)
Yukie Nagai (The University of Tokyo)

—
Yukie Nagai, Ph.D.
Project Professor, The University of Tokyo
nagai.yukie at mail.u-tokyo.ac.jp | https://developmental-robotics.jp
CREST Cognitive Mirroring: https://cognitive-mirroring.org
CREST Cognitive Feeling: https://cognitive-feeling.jp