Connectionists: Talk be Kristian Kersting on Neuro-symbolic AI

Barbara Hammer bhammer at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jan 9 16:42:26 EST 2022

Dear colleagues,

The Joint Artificial Intelligence Institute (JAII) was set up by the
universities of Bielefeld and Paderborn to promote joint research
activities in the field of AI.
The JAII has started a lecture series to invite interesting guests from
this research field virtually and/or in person to Paderborn or Bielefeld.

On Thursday, January 13th, 2022, 16:15-17:45, virtually via Zoom,
Prof. Dr. Kristian Kersting, TU Darmstadt, will give a lecture on
"Making Deep Machines Right for the Right Reasons".

Abstract:
Deep neural networks have shown excellent performances in many
real-world applications. Unfortunately, they may show “Clever Hans”-like
behavior—making use of confounding factors within datasets—to achieve
high performance. In this talk, I shall touch upon explanatory
interactive learning (XIL). XIL adds the expert into the training loop
such that she interactively revises the original model via providing
feedback on its explanations. Since “visual” explanations may not be
sufficient to grapple with the model’s true concept, I shall also touch
upon revising a model on the semantic level, e.g. “never focus on the
color to make your decision”. Our experimental results demonstrate that
XIL can help avoiding Clever Hans moments in machine learning. Overall,
this all illustrates the benefits of a Hybrid AI, the combination of
neural and symbolic AI.

To register for the virtual lecture, visit https://jaii.eu.

Best wishes
Barbara Hammer