Connectionists: ACM UMAP’22: Second Call for Workshop and Tutorial Proposals

Nasim Sonboli nasim.sonboli at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 00:29:22 EST 2022

Please accept our apologies in case of multiple receptions.

Please send it to interested colleagues.

# **30th ACM International Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and
Personalization (ACM UMAP'22)**

Barcelona, Spain, and Online

4 - 7 July 2022

https://www.um.org/umap2022/

Proposal Submission Deadline: January 27, 2022

**BACKGROUND AND SCOPE**
============================

**ACM UMAP'22** is pleased to invite proposals for workshops and tutorials
to be held in conjunction with the conference. ACM UMAP is the premier
international conference for researchers and practitioners working on
systems that adapt to individual users or to groups of users, and which
collect, represent, and model user information.

We encourage both researchers and industry practitioners to submit workshop
and tutorial proposals. We strongly suggest involving organizers from
different institutions, bringing different perspectives to the workshop or
tutorial topic. We welcome workshops and tutorials with a creative
structure that may attract various types of attendees and ensure rich
interactions. All the tutorials and workshops should support both virtual
and physical attendance (although we hope physical to be the preferred
option).

**Call for Workshop Proposals**
============================

The workshops provide a venue to discuss and explore emerging areas of User
Modeling and Adaptive Hypermedia research with like-minded researchers and
practitioners from industry and academia.

**Important Dates**
============================

- Proposals due: January 27, 2022
- Notification to proposers: February 10, 2022
- Workshop day(s): July TBD, 2022

All deadlines are 11:59 pm, AoE time (Anywhere on Earth).

**Workshop Formats**
============================

In this edition, our goal is to have a balanced workshop program,
comprising workshops with different formats and addressing newly emerging,
currently evolving and established research topics. Different schemas to
organize the workshop are possible, such as:

- Working group meetings around a problem or topic.
- Mini-conferences on special topics, having their own paper submission and
review processes.
- Mini-competitions or challenges around selected topics with individual or
team participation.
- Interactive discussion meetings focusing on subtopics of the UMAP general
research topics.
- Joint panels for different workshops.

The detailed instructions for the proposal content, the submission, the
responsibilities, the proceedings, and the registration are provided at [
https://www.um.org/umap2022/call-for-workshops/](https://www.um.org/umap2022/call-for-workshops/)
.

**Call for Tutorial Proposals**
============================

Tutorials are intensive instructional sessions that provide a comprehensive
introduction to established or emerging research topics of interest for the
UMAP community.

**Important Dates**
============================

- Proposals due: January 27, 2022
- Notification to proposers: February 10, 2022
- Tutorial day: July TBD, 2022

All deadlines are 11:59 pm, AoE time (Anywhere on Earth).

**Tutorial Topics**
============================

An ideal tutorial should be broad enough to provide a basic introduction to
the chosen area, but it should also cover the most important topics in
depth. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

- New user modeling technologies, methods, techniques, and trends (e.g.
exploiting data mining and big data analytics for user modeling, evaluation
methodologies, data visualization, etc.).
- User modeling and personalization techniques for specific domains (e.g.,
health, e-government, e-commerce, cultural heritage, education, internet of
things, mobile, music, information retrieval, human-robot interaction,
etc.).
- Application and impact of the user modeling and personalization
techniques for information retrieval and recommender systems, including
beyond-accuracy aspects (e.g., fairness).
- Eliciting and learning user preferences by taking into account users';
emotional state, physical state, personality, trust, cognitive factors.

The detailed instructions for the proposal content, the submission, the
responsibilities, the proceedings, and the registration are provided at
https://www.um.org/umap2022/call-for-tutorials/.

**Workshop and Tutorial Chairs**

- Mirko Marras, University of Cagliari, Italy
- Elvira Popescu, University of Craiova, Romania
- Contact: [umap2022-wt at um.org](mailto:umap2022-wt at um.org)