Connectionists: Scientific Integrity, the 2021 Turing Lecture, etc.

Baldi,Pierre pfbaldi at ics.uci.edu
Mon Jan 3 09:55:06 EST 2022

Terry:

We can all agree on the importance of mentoring the next generation.
However, given that:

1) you have been in full and sole control of the NIPS/NeurIPS foundation
since the 1980s;

2) you have been in full and sole control of Neural Computation since
the 1980s;

3) you have extensively published in Neural Computation (and now also PNAS);

4) you have made sure, year after year,  that you and your BHL/CIFAR
friends were able to control and subtly manipulate NIPS/NeurIPS
(misleading the field in wrong directions, preventing news ideas and
outsiders from flourishing, and distorting credit attribution).

Can you please explain to this mailing list how this serves as being "a
good role model" (to use your own words) for the next generation?

Or did you mean it in a more cynical way--indeed this is one of the
possible ways for a scientist to be "successful"?

--Pierre

--
Pierre Baldi, Ph.D.
Distinguished Professor, Department of Computer Science
Assistant: Janet Ko  jko at uci.edu