Connectionists: Scientific Integrity, the 2021 Turing Lecture, etc.

Schmidhuber Juergen juergen at idsia.ch
Sun Jan 2 10:47:23 EST 2022

Steve, almost all of deep learning is about engineering and problem solving, not about explaining or modeling biological neurons/synapses/dendrites. The most successful deep learners of today generalize the linear regressors of 1800. Same error. Same objective. Same basic architecture per unit or “neuron." Same weights per neuron. But now with nonlinear differentiable activation functions and deeper global architectures. Jürgen