Connectionists: Call for application -- Oxford ML Summer School (OxML 2022)

Reza Khorshidi rskhorshidi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 04:02:56 EST 2022

Dates: August 7-14, 2022 (St Catherine's College, Oxford + Virtual)
Application deadline: 15 April, 2022
For more info, please visit the school’s website: www.oxfordml.school <https://www.oxfordml.school/>
Link to the application form: https://forms.gle/EqvC3qxKmoGKJgGs5 <https://forms.gle/EqvC3qxKmoGKJgGs5>

About OxML 2022
OxML is organised by AI for Global Goals, in partnership with CIFAR <https://cifar.ca/> and The University of Oxford’s Deep Medicine <http://deepmedicine.medsci.ox.ac.uk/> Program.
OxML schools have a special focus on ML and SDG <https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/>s. That is, in addition to theoretical ML lectures, there will be lectures on the application of ML in various SDGs areas.
OxML 2022 will have two separate 4-day schools: (1) ML x Health, and (2) ML x Finance.
Furthermore, based on the success of last year's program, and in order to provide all participants with the necessary background -- particularly for those who are new to the theory and fundamentals of modern ML --  the program will also have an online ML Fundamentals module (June 27-29), which will be open to both schools' accepted participants.
The schools will take place in St Catherine's College, Oxford (UK). There will also be a virtual option for those who cannot (or prefer not to) travel to the UK.
During each school, in addition to applied and theoretical lectures (taking place in the main hall, with ~250 seats), there will be multiple workshops and sessions on Advanced ML topics, ML Ops, ML Products, and ML Career (taking place in the 4x smaller halls, that have ~50-100 seats).
We aim to host ~200 participants in person (plus 100-200 virtually) in each school. Note that, while our current plan is to have a hybrid format, in the worst case COVID scenarios, we have (and are ready to execute) a plan B to go fully virtual.
You can find out more about the previous schools — including the previous speakers — here <https://www.oxfordml.school/2021>.
The schools' theoretical tutorials on modern ML (including DL) will cover topics such as:
Neural networks, deep learning / representation learning (with, with little, or without supervision), ...
Statistical/probabilistic ML (e.g., Bayesian ML, Gaussian processes, variational inference, Bayesian neural networks)
Neural sequence models (e.g., Transformers)
NLP, computer vision, and multi-modal representation learning
Reinforcement learning
Causal ML
Graph neural nets and Geometric DL
Learning theory
Optimisation
On the applied side, the school will cover topics such as:
ML x Health: The applications of ML in imaging, genomics, electric health records (EHR), drug discovery, ...
ML x Finance: The applications of ML in sustainable investing (e.g., ESG), insurance and emerging risks, banking , hedging and options trading, ...

Speakers
The school’s world-renowned speakers are from top ML research groups (e.g., Oxford, Cambridge, CIFAR, Amazon, DeepMind, Microsoft Research, and more). The speakers’ bios and more details on their talks will be announced in the coming weeks (you can see our previous speakers here <https://www.oxfordml.school/2021>, and follow the updates via the school’s website <https://www.oxfordml.school/>, or Twitter <https://twitter.com/GlobalGoalsAI> and LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/company/ai-for-global-goals/> accounts).

Target audience
Everyone is welcome to apply to OxML 2022 regardless of their origin, nationality, and country of residence.
Our target audience are (1) PhD students with a good technical background whose research topics are related to ML, plus (2) researchers and engineers in both academia and industry with similar/advanced levels of technical knowledge.
All applicants are subject to a selection process; we aim to select strongly motivated participants, who are interested in broadening their knowledge of the advanced topics in the field of ML/DL and their applications.

Application
You can find the application for for the school here <https://forms.gle/EqvC3qxKmoGKJgGs5>.
Given the overwhelming number of applications we received in previous years, the application portal may close earlier than the deadline if the number of applications exceeds our capacity to review.
For any queries, you can contact us using this email address: contact at oxfordml.school <mailto:contact at oxfordml.school>

Best,
—
Reza Khorshidi, D.Phil. (Oxon)
Deep Medicine Program, The University of Oxford