Connectionists: Weird beliefs about consciousness

Stephen José Hanson jose at rubic.rutgers.edu
Mon Feb 14 14:30:31 EST 2022

Gary,  these weren't criterion.     Let me try again.

I wasn't talking about wake-sleep cycles... I was talking about being
awake or asleep and the transition that ensues..

Rooba's don't sleep.. they turn off, I have two of them.  They turn on
once (1) their batteries are recharged (2) a timer has been set for
being turned on.

GPT3 is essentially a CYC that actually works.. by reading Wikipedia
(which of course is a terribly biased sample).

I was indicating the difference between implicit and explicit
learning/problem solving.    Implicit learning/memory is unconscious and
similar to a habit.. (good or bad).

I believe that when someone says "is gpt3 conscious?"  they are asking:
is gpt3 self-aware?      Roombas know about vacuuming and they are
unconscious.