Connectionists: Full Professor in AI and ML

Peter Andras peter.andras.sci at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 09:17:47 EDT 2022

Professor in Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning, Full time,
PermanentEdinburgh Napier University
<https://jobs.napier.ac.uk/mthrprod_webrecruitment/wrd/run/ETREC107GF.open?VACANCY_ID%3d492944EfQJ&WVID=4376296Olf>
https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CRQ562/professor-in-artificial-intelligence-and-machine-learning-full-time-permanent

Edinburgh Napier University is the ‘#1 Modern University in Scotland’. An
innovative, learner centric university with a modern and fresh outlook,
Edinburgh Napier is ambitious, inclusive in its ethos and applied in its
approach.

Edinburgh Napier University’s phenomenal results from the Research
Excellence Framework (2021) are testament to our growing strength and
capability as a research institution. These results, alongside our
consistently positive National Student Survey results and sustained high
levels of graduate employability, demonstrate the increasing impact of
Edinburgh Napier's collective work, quality and commitment.

REF 2021 assessed 68% of our research as either “world-leading” or
“internationally excellent”, up 15% since 2014. Additionally, the
University’s research power metric rocketed from 250 to 718, making
Edinburgh Napier the top ranking Scottish modern university for both
research power and research impact.

The University’s improved power rating will now see our research funding
increase as we take significant strides to grow our reputation as a
research-focused institution as well as a teaching one.  Through continuous
investment in staff and our research environment, we are confident that we
are well on our way to establishing ourselves as one of the UK’s
world-leading universities in research.

The School of Computing, Engineering & the Built Environment has over 200
academics, and around 3,100 campus-based students, and delivers programmes
with professional accreditations from the British Computer Society,
Institution of Engineering and Technology, The Chartered Institute of
Building and other accreditation bodies. We have excellent computing,
engineering and construction lab facilities. The School has embarked on a
major development in the area of Industry 4.0, bringing together computer
science, engineering, mathematics and construction technology. We are one
of the UK's largest computer science academic units with key strengths in
AI, cyber security and creative and social informatics. We house leading UK
research centres in transport policy and sustainable construction. The
schools are based in the lively and exciting Merchiston area at the heart
of Edinburgh, Scotland's inspiring capital.

The latest UK national research assessment, REF 2021, places our Computer
Science research in the top-30 in the whole UK and 3rd best in Scotland
(both in power ranking). In terms of research impact 100% of our work
achieved the highest rating (4*), a performance achieved only by six other
universities in the whole UK.  Our research is underpinned by significant
amounts of funding from prestigious sources including both EPSRC and
Horizon 2020.

This is a great opportunity for an experienced academic with expertise in
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning or related fields to the work
of the experienced team exploring Search-based optimisation, Evolutionary
Robotics, Natural Language Generation, Multi-Modal Healthcare Data
Analytics. As a professor you will be expected to contribute to the
leadership of the research group as well, especially in terms of driving
the research agenda and leading the exploration of new foundational
research areas. Areas of desirable expertise include, but are not limited
to: machine learning with applications to robotics, machine learning
theoretical foundations, machine learning applied to biomedical data and
healthcare, search-based optimisation, deep learning systems, adversarial
machine learning, generative models in machine learning, natural language
processing with machine learning, explainable machine learning,
neuromorphic machine learning systems. With 80% time allocation for
research, this role will allow you to explore novel and emerging areas of
artificial intelligence and machine learning, deliver excellent quality
research papers and secure substantial external research funding.

The Professor in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning will
contribute to and build programmes and modules to support the expansion of
the School’s teaching portfolio which explores the changing nature of IT
infrastructure, AI and ML applications to big data, business intelligence,
and the impact of technology on business. You will actively contribute to
our existing portfolio of computer science based degree programmes.

We are looking for someone who can demonstrate enthusiasm for working in a
cross-disciplinary manner in fundamental and applied research and in the
development of research-informed teaching to enhance employability of our
graduates. You will have the opportunity to expand your industry
connections through our existing networks.

Further information about Edinburgh Napier University can be found here
<https://www.napier.ac.uk/about-us/our-schools>.

*The Role*

As a professor you will be a member of our Artificial Intelligence research
group with:

   - A research allowance of 80% of your time to build your research.
   - Access to our staff development budget for travel to conferences and
   to establish collaborations.
   - Extensive training and development opportunities through our Human
   Resources (HR) and Research, Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
   - Support for grant applications and post-award running of grants from
   professional services colleagues in the schools and the Research,
   Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
   - Opportunities to lead and join PhD student supervisory teams.
   - A fully funded PhD position (UK student) that you are expected to fill
   during your first year of employment at Edinburgh Napier University.
   - Opportunities to contribute to the leadership of the research group.

*Applicants must demonstrate:*

   - A doctoral level qualification in the relevant discipline.
   - Evidence of a professional academic and research profile alongside a
   commitment to sustained continuous professional/academic development.
   - An international reputation as a leader in the field of research
   appropriate for the level of the professorial position with a track record
   of international esteem indicators.
   - A sustained track record of internationally excellent quality output
   in the *research area of Artificial Intelligence and Machine
Learning* appropriate
   for the level of the professorial position.
   - A sustained track record of securing external funding and support for
   research activity (as Principal Investigator or key contributor) and
   networking within the relevant research community nationally and
   internationally appropriate for the level of the professorial position.
   - Completion of several PhD students, supervised as main supervisor.
   - Evidence of academic leadership appropriate for the level of the
   professorial position (e.g., mentoring others, engagement in institutional
   leadership, engagement in cross-institutional and national projects and
   initiatives).
   - Evidence of relevant teaching experience.

*Applicants preferably will also demonstrate:*

   - Sustained track records of internationally excellent output and
   externally funded research projects in interface areas of computer science,
   engineering, construction and mathematics that are relevant for Industry
   4.0 research.

*If you would like to know, more about this exciting opportunity
please click here
<https://staff.napier.ac.uk/services/hr/recruitmentandselection/Job_description_repository/jobdescriptions/JD%20-%20Lecturer%20(Generic)/JD%20FEB%202022/Role_Description_Professor_Grade%208-10_Merchiston_V2.pdf>**
view the role profile.*

Further information about our benefits can be found here
<https://staff.napier.ac.uk/services/hr/recruitmentandselection/Job_description_repository/jobdescriptions/NapierBenefitsFlyer.pdf>
.

*Additional Information*

*£65,573 to £106,482 per annum (Grade 8 – 10)*

Informal enquiries about the role can be made to Professor Peter Andras (
p.andras at napier.ac.uk) or Professor Ben Paechter (b.paechter at napier.ac.uk).
Applications for the role must be submitted via the Edinburgh Napier
University job applications web site – emailed applications will not be
accepted.

Application closing date: 4th September 2022 at 11:59pm

Interview date: Week of 10th October 2022