Connectionists: 3 Research fellow/postdoc positions in Interactive Technologies for Health Resilience

chr.tremm at gmail.com chr.tremm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 12:15:00 EDT 2022

Three research fellow positions are available at the University of
Southampton.

If you have a PhD in Computer Science, Electronics, Engineering or related
with human centred design focus then join the
<https://www.wellthlab.ac.uk/> WellthLab.

Core projects you'd be engaged on:

*        Elder Athletes and Incidental Interaction (priority project) - How
to design interactions to help elders use daily strength moves, like
standing, reaching, grabbing, pulling to build the strength needed to make
life easier and have independence sustained longer - without getting in a
person's way, or making anyone feel ordered about? Our mission: eliminate
frailty. Our approach in this EPSRC project? incidental interaction.
Researchers will be meeting with a host of partners from NHS to industry.

*        Synthesising co-presence - COVID let us know the power of online
meetings, but also their limitations. What makes in-person interaction more
intimate and challenging than online meetings? What signals and qualities in
human-to-human interaction might we synthesise to create better quality
interaction when remote? As Our mission: improve virtually mediated
creativity; help eliminate loneliness?

*        Non-visual Augmented Reality for Learning in Context - Movement and
memory go together. How can we leverage and augment movement over and
through our environment to build new skills - from second language
acquisition, to social interaction. How use computational augmentation - in
other modes than vision - to help us build knowledge, skills and practice to
learn how to thrive without reliance on that technology?

*        Future of Healthful Work - Is the future of work only hybrid
working? Is it just being sedentary in different places? What does truly
healthful work look and feel like? And what are the interactive technologies
that will support it? What if instead of "smart watches" telling us to stand
up from time to time, our work had healthful practices wired in - no
reminders required because it was healthful out of the box? Instead of
having to "exercise" to recover from the strains of work, what if great
healthful work eliminated the need for "exercise"? What would the role of
interactive technologies be? And what would be the methodologies of their
interactions? Take a look at our Experiment in a Box paper for examples.

For more details on the job offers check:
<https://jobs.soton.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=1937822FP>
https://jobs.soton.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=1937822FP

If you have any questions, please contact prof m.c. schraefel directly at
<mailto:hrit-rf at nopain2.org> hrit-rf at nopain2.org

Dr. Christoph Tremmel

Research Fellow at the WellthLab
Electronics and Computer Science