Connectionists: Neuronal Dynamics for Embodied Cognition - Virtual Summer School 2022

DFT Summer School dftschool at ini.rub.de
Thu Apr 21 11:29:24 EDT 2022

Please forward this advertisement to whoever you think might be interested.

This virtual edition of our summer school will consist of two parts: A
live-lecture series and a hands-on workshop.
Participation in any part of the school is free of charge.
The deadline for workshop applications is Jul 31, 2022!

Thanks, Raul Grieben and Jan Tekülve

- - -

Virtual DFT School 2022

This year our summer school "Neural Dynamics for Embodied Cognition"
will take place in virtual form from the 15th to the 20th of August, 2022.

Neuronal dynamics provide a powerful theoretical language for the design
and modeling of embodied and situated cognitive systems. This school
provides a hands-on and practical introduction to neuronal dynamics
ideas and enables participants to become productive within this
framework. The school is aimed at advanced undergraduate or graduate
students, postdocs and faculty members in embodied cognition, cognitive
science, and robotics.

Topics addressed include neural dynamics, attractor dynamics and
instabilities, dynamic field theory, neuronal representations,
artificial perception, simple forms of cognition including detection and
selection decisions, memory formation, learning, and grounding
relational concepts.

This virtual edition of our summer school will consist of two parts: A
live-lecture series and a hands-on workshop. The lecture series will be
held as a video conference and provides a step-by-step introduction to
Dynamic Field Theory. The two-and-a-half-day project workshop gives
students the opportunity to put to use the newly acquired skills in a
concrete hands-on modeling project. Students solve the task in our
open-source simulation environment under the guidance of a personal
tutor. This year's lectures will be open for everyone,  while the
one-on-one tutoring limits the number of participants who can take part
in the workshop. We also encourage workshop applications by small groups
of participants, maybe two or three colleagues who will work together
locally on the same project and may share a tutor. Although this format
will not retain the appeal of meeting other students in person, we will
make this year's experience as interactive as possible.

The lecture series will be held from the 15th to the 20th of August and
the workshop takes place from the 18th to the 20th of August.
Lectures will take place from 3 to 6 p.m. (CET) on each day and personal
tutoring will be available on each workshop day.

Participation in any part of the school is free of charge.

To apply for the lecture series and/or the workshop, please visit our
webpage: https://dynamicfieldtheory.org/events/summer_school_2022/