Connectionists: Hybrid Inauguration Lecture Alexander von Humboldt professor Prof. Yaochu Jin

Barbara Hammer bhammer at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Apr 20 12:51:18 EDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

we have the pleasure to announce the inauguration speech of our new AI
Alexander von Humboldt professor at Bielefeld University, Yaochu Jin,
who will talk about the topic

      Towards Evolutionary Developmental Artificial Intelligence

*next Wednesday, April 27th, 4.15 pm*, in a hybrid lecture taking place
in the lecture series of our joint AI institute JAII https://jaii.eu/

Please find the abstract below. Please register here
<https://uni-bielefeld.zoom.us/meeting/register/u5Apc--grT8tGdZFHLpvbhZMxEo3ZB3aHVcW>
to get the link. More information are available at the JAII web site
https://jaii.eu/

AvH professorships constitute the highest endowed individual research
award in Germany's research landscape, granted to outstanding
researchers in the field, with AI as recent special funding line:
https://www.humboldt-foundation.de/entdecken/newsroom/dossier-alexander-von-humboldt-professur/yaochu-jin

Best wishes

Barbara

--

      Hybrid Lecture by Humboldt Professor Yaochu Jin on April 27,
      16:15-17:45 CET,  "Towards Evolutionary Developmental Artificial

Considering the limitations of the deep learning approach to artificial
intelligence, this talk proposes to understand and emulate human
intelligence from an evolutionary developmental perspective. We first
provide a brief introduction to the biological findings about evolution
and development of human brain and nervous systems. Then preliminary
computational models of neural and morphological evolution and
development are presented. Experimental results reveal that energy
minimization is a main principle behind the organization of nervous
systems and there is a close coupling between body and brain in
evolution and development. Finally, we describe some recent advances in
computational modeling of neural plasticity embedded in the reservoir
computing and discuss their influences on the learning performance of
echo state networks and spiking neural networks. The talks is concluded
by an outline of future research.

--
Prof. Dr. Barbara Hammer
Machine Learning Group, CITEC