Connectionists: Call for participation in Online Asian Machine Learning School prior to ACML 2021

Wittawat Jitkrittum wittawatj at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 18:34:22 EDT 2021

Dear all,

We invite applications to attend the Online Asian Machine Learning School
<http://www.acml-conf.org/2021/school/> (OAMLS), which is a part of the Asian
Conference on Machine Learning 2021 <http://www.acml-conf.org/2021> and
will be held from November 8 to November 19, 2021.

By participating in OAMLS, you will have the opportunity to:

   -

   Learn from and engage with top experts in the field. OAMLS offers an
   invaluable chance to study fundamentals of machine learning as well as
   state-of-the-art advances from our invited speakers
   <http://www.acml-conf.org/2021/school/speakers/>.
   -

   OAMLS provides a great networking opportunity to meet like-minded
   individuals who share your passion for machine learning, data science, and
   artificial intelligence.
   -

   Attend ACML 2021, which is held immediately after the summer school.

Speakers:

   -

   Angela Yao <https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~ayao/>, National University of
   Singapore
   -

   Cheng Soon Ong <http://www.ong-home.my/>, Data61, CSIRO
   -

   Cheng-Te Li <http://myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~chengte/>, National Cheng Kung
   University
   -

   Dinh Phung <http://dinhphung.ml/?i=1>, Monash University
   -

   Emtiyaz Khan <https://emtiyaz.github.io/>,  RIKEN Center for Advanced
   Intelligence Project
   -

   Hung-yi Lee <https://speech.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~hylee/>, National Taiwan
   University
   -

   Jonas Peters <http://web.math.ku.dk/~peters/>, University of Copenhagen
   -

   Peter L. Bartlett <https://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~bartlett/>, UC Berkeley
   -

   Reza Haffari <https://users.monash.edu.au/~gholamrh/>, Monash University
   -

   Sara Hooker <https://www.sarahooker.me/>, Google Brain
   -

   Sinno Pan <https://personal.ntu.edu.sg/sinnopan/>, Nanyang Technological
   University
   -

   Taiji Suzuki <http://ibis.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/suzuki/>, RIKEN Center for
   Advanced Intelligence Project / The University of Tokyo
   -

   Vered Shwartz <https://www.cs.ubc.ca/~vshwartz/>, University of British
   Columbi
   -

   Zhongwen Xu <https://zhongwen.one/>, Sea AI Lab

Tentative programs:

   -

   Lectures by our invited speakers
   -

   Networking (virtually) with fellow OAMLS participants including speed
   dating sessions, volunteer-driven review sessions after each lecture, etc.
   -

   Live roundtable discussion with our invited speakers where participants
   can freely ask technical and non-technical questions (e.g., career paths,
   open problems in a specific area of machine learning)
   -

   Mentoring sessions

We aim to have 200 strongly motivated and engaged participants in this
event. We encourage applications from the Asia-Pacific region, although we
open applications to anyone in the world provided that they will be able to
attend the event which will be held in Asian time zones. No deep experience
of machine learning is needed to apply, but participants are assumed to
have some basic knowledge of programming, statistics, and machine learning.
We will provide recommended background materials for those who are selected
to ensure that everyone has the required knowledge to benefit from the
event.

Please apply here
<http://www.acml-conf.org/2021/school/call-for-applications/>. Submitting
an application is free of charge. We ask for a small registration fee for
accepted participants. The application deadline is on September 15, 2021
and the acceptance notification is on October 8, 2021.

Contact: oamls-21 at googlegroups.com.

Thank you,

The OAMLS team