Connectionists: Scientific Integrity, the 2021 Turing Lecture, etc.

Randall O'Reilly oreilly at ucdavis.edu
Sun Oct 31 04:44:12 EDT 2021

I'm sure everyone agrees that scientific integrity is essential at all levels, but I hope we can avoid a kind of simplistic, sanctimonious treatment of these issues -- there are lots of complex dynamics at play in this or any scientific field.  Here's few additional thoughts / reactions:

* Outside of a paper specifically on the history of a field, does it really make sense to "require" everyone to cite obscure old papers that you can't even get a PDF of on google scholar?  Who does that help?  Certainly not someone who might want to actually read a useful treatment of foundational ideas.  I generally cite papers that I actually think other people should read if they want to learn more about a topic -- those tend to be written by people who write clearly and compellingly.  Those who are obsessed about historical precedents should write papers on such things, but don't get bent out of shape if other people really don't care that much about that stuff and really just care about the ideas and moving *forward*.

* Should Newton be cited instead of Rumelhart et al, for backprop, as Steve suggested?  Seriously, most of the math powering today's models is just calculus and the chain rule.  Furthermore, the idea that gradients passed through many multiplicative steps of the chain rule tend to dissipate exponentially is pretty basic at a mathematical level, and I'm sure some obscure (or even famous) mathematician from the 1800's or even earlier has pointed this out in some context or another.  For example, Lyopunov's work from the late 1800's is directly relevant in terms of iterative systems and the need to have an exponent of 1 for stability.  So at some level all of deep learning and LSTM is just derivative of this earlier work (pun intended!).

* More generally, each individual scientist is constantly absorbing ideas from others, synthesizing them in their own internal neural networks, and essentially "reinventing" the insights and implications of these ideas in their own mind.  We all only have our own individual subjective lens onto the world, and each have to generate our own internal conceptual structures for ourselves.  Thus, reinvention is rampant, and we each feel a distinct sense of ownership over the powerful ideas that we have forged in our own minds.  Some people are lucky enough to be at the right place and the right time to share truly new ideas in an effective way with a large number of other people, but everyone who grasps those ideas can cherish the fact that so many people are out there in the world working tirelessly to share all of these great ideas!

* To support what Pierre Baldi said: People are strongly biased to form in-group affiliations and put others into less respected (or worse) out-groups -- the power of this instinct is behind most of the evil in the world today and throughout history, and science is certainly not immune to its effects.  Thus it is important to explicitly promote diversity of all forms in scientific organizations, and work against what clearly are strong "cliques" in the field, who hold longstanding and disproportionate control over important organizations.

- Randy