Connectionists: Fwd: Scientific Integrity, the 2021 Turing Lecture, etc.

Baldi,Pierre pfbaldi at ics.uci.edu
Thu Oct 28 13:05:43 EDT 2021

Besides plagiarism, this community would be well-served by taking a
frank look at the remarkable levels of cronyism, collusion, and
subtle--but very real--manipulation that have permeated it for several
decades.  In addition to self- , cross-, and suppressive citation
issues, there are many other metrics to look at. To get started, one
could ask the following simple questions and compute the corresponding
statistics:

1) Over the past four decades, how often has the leadership of any
relevant machine learning foundation changed?

2) Over the past four decades, what is the degree of over-representation
by members of any particular organization in things like:
a) organizing and program committees of major machine learning
conferences? b) AI/ML academic department and now also AI/ML corporate
departments? c) editorial boards and other centers of power and
dissemination?

3) What is the degree of over-representation of any particular
organization in invited talks, workshops, tutorials, or other "special
events", such as official birthday celebrations or on-stage Q&A sessions
with rich and famous people, at major machine learning scientific
conferences?

Cronyism and collusion are nothing new in human affairs, including
science, and most of the time they are even legal.  But how well do
these serve science or society?

The tip of the iceberg.

--Pierre Baldi