Connectionists: Scientific Integrity, the 2021 Turing Lecture, etc.

Schmidhuber Juergen juergen at idsia.ch
Wed Oct 27 03:52:09 EDT 2021

Hi, fellow artificial neural network enthusiasts!

The connectionists mailing list is perhaps the oldest mailing list on ANNs, and many neural net pioneers are still subscribed to it. I am hoping that some of them - as well as their contemporaries - might be able to provide additional valuable insights into the history of the field.

Following the great success of massive open online peer review (MOOR) for my 2015 survey of deep learning (now the most cited article ever published in the journal Neural Networks), I've decided to put forward another piece for MOOR. I want to thank the many experts who have already provided me with comments on it. Please send additional relevant references and suggestions for improvements for the following draft directly to me at juergen at idsia.ch:

https://people.idsia.ch/~juergen/scientific-integrity-turing-award-deep-learning.html

The above is a point-for-point critique of factual errors in ACM's justification of the ACM A. M. Turing Award for deep learning and a critique of the Turing Lecture published by ACM in July 2021. This work can also be seen as a short history of deep learning, at least as far as ACM's errors and the Turing Lecture are concerned.

I know that some view this as a controversial topic. However, it is the very nature of science to resolve controversies through facts. Credit assignment is as core to scientific history as it is to machine learning. My aim is to ensure that the true history of our field is preserved for posterity.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Jürgen Schmidhuber