Connectionists: Call for participation: K-CAP 2021 2-3 December (online) - Early bird until 26 Nov

Marieke van Erp marieke.van.erp at dh.huc.knaw.nl
Sun Nov 21 11:42:29 EST 2021

* Apologies for cross posting *

K-CAP 2021
The Eleventh International Conference on Knowledge Capture
December 2 - 3, 2021
A virtual conference
https://www.k-cap.org/2021/

* Programme *

Join us for two days of presentations at the intersection of knowledge
representation, knowledge acquisition, intelligent user interfaces,
problem-solving and reasoning, planning, agents, text extraction, and
machine learning, information enrichment, visualization, and
cyber-infrastructures to foster the publication, retrieval, reuse, and
integration of data.

K-CAP 2021 has accepted 41 papers, check them out at:
https://www.k-cap.org/2021/conference.html

* Invited Speakers *

Ian Horrocks
Oxford University

Title: Knowledge Graphs: Theory, Applications and Challenges

Abstract:
Knowledge Graphs have rapidly become a mainstream technology that combines
features of databases and AI. In this talk I will introduce Knowledge
Graphs, explaining their features and the theory behind them. I will then
consider some of the challenges inherent in both the theory and
implementation of Knowledge Graphs and present some solutions that have
made possible the development of popular language standards and robust and
high-performance Knowledge Graph systems. Finally, I will illustrate the
wide applicability of knowledge graph technology with example use cases
including configuration management, fraud detection, semantic search &
browse, and data wrangling.

Leila Zia
WIKIMEDIA Foundation

Title: Research at the Service of Free Knowledge

Abstract:
With roughly 20 billion monthly pageviews, 15 million monthly edits, and
almost 55 million articles across 300+ languages, Wikipedia has become a
canonical part of the Free Knowledge ecosystem: enabling people to have
access to knowledge and empowering them to participate in the discourse of
gathering and sharing the sum of all human knowledge. By 2030, the
Wikimedia projects, which include Wikipedia, aspire to break down the
social, political, and technical barriers preventing people from accessing
and contributing to free knowledge. In this presentation, I will talk about
research in this direction. In particular, I will present our approach and
research on identifying, measuring, and bridging Wikipedia's knowledge
gaps. I will share some of our success stories, as well as a few of the
biggest challenges we face today. I close by sharing some of the open
research questions and directions.

* Registration*
You can now register at: https://www.k-cap.org/2021/registration.html

Registration fees:
Student Early $50 Late $70
Regular Early $100 Late $120
ACM Member Early $80 Late $100
Early rate applies until 26 November.

If you are a student interested in attending K-CAP 2021, you may be
eligible to apply for a support grant. This year, grants are funded by the
ACM SIGAI. Please take a look at SIGAI's student support opportunities at:
https://sigai.acm.org/activities/student_support.html

Student Travel Support is also supported by the AIJ. Please apply at the
following form: https://forms.gle/vZ5Bdvg7Vj12RaUq9.