Connectionists: Scientific Integrity, the 2021 Turing Lecture, etc.

Stephen José Hanson jose at rubic.rutgers.edu
Mon Nov 15 12:14:31 EST 2021

Barak, as usual turgid and yet clear.

Exactly correct.    I agree.  Well, mostly.

however the Jurrasic--*not antidiluvian*-- nature of citations does
require one to *read* as you so intimated in your citation "algorithm"
-- citations are meant to be contextual and relevant.  So it is easy to
miss references in Cognitive Science.. as sometimes its just not clear
what is similar to what.   SO there is a matter of judgment here that
folks could differ on.. Math and CS are a bit more obvious,  as Calculus
was either invented by Newton or Leibnez.   The Bernoulli brothers (not
to be confused with the Doobie brothers)  invented probability theory
and Laplace not the revered Bayes invented bayes law (I know.. its
sounds wrong).

But there are phase transitions in science.. so its often hard to decide
where the citation path starts and where it ends.   As Barak, correctly
points out, reviews of the literature, annual reviews are good targets
to cite, because they claim to leap-frog from the past in an
authoritative and comprehensive way.  And so maybe you are tempted to be
lazy and not read it.  Read it.

Mostly in academics, the stakes are so low, mostly no-one seems to care
who invented the "one sided t-test", but someone did (Braver).    But
with 100M$ being tossed about on a daily basis, especially when the
algorithms are being appropriated without acknowledgement and prizes are
given out without the entire context, Juergen;s concerns are more
tangible.   And writing a comprehensive review  is valuable and
generates relevant and useful discussion.    So bravo to Juergen for an
impressive historical exegesis.   Where the problem begins, is where
does the modern era begin--2012? 2006? 1984?, 1961?, 1946?..  an ancient
Greek guy for Arithmetic?-- well this might be a matter of taste.    I
think its safe to say we know when something is new because it actually
works better (the context changed--there is a *change point* if you
will), and the citation nuance between the present and past begins to
melt away.

Steve