Connectionists: Steps Toward A Conscious Artifact

Jeffrey Krichmar jkrichma at uci.edu
Mon May 24 00:09:54 EDT 2021

Dear Connectionists,

I thought some of you might be interested in this event that occurred a number of years ago. The paper is available on arXiv:

https://arxiv.org/abs/2105.10461

Title: Edelman's Steps Toward a Conscious Artifact
Authors: Jeffrey L. Krichmar

In 2006, during a meeting of a working group of scientists in La Jolla, California at The Neurosciences Institute (NSI), Gerald Edelman described a roadmap towards the creation of a Conscious Artifact. As far as I know, this roadmap was not published. However, it did shape my thinking and that of many others in the years since that meeting. This short paper, which is based on my notes taken during the meeting, describes the key steps in this roadmap. I believe it is as groundbreaking today as it was more than 15 years ago.

Best regards,

Jeff Krichmar
Department of Cognitive Sciences
2328 Social & Behavioral Sciences Gateway
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-5100
jkrichma at uci.edu
http://www.socsci.uci.edu/~jkrichma