Connectionists: New CDT research report - "Do You See What I See? The Capabilities and Limitations of Automated Multimedia Content Analysis"

Dhanaraj Thakur dthakur at cdt.org
Thu May 20 19:02:47 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,

We published a new report today that explains how machine learning
techniques are used to assess user-generated content online such as
images, video, and audio media. It also explains what these automated
tools can—and cannot—tell us about multimedia content. The report, /Do
You See What I See? The Capabilities and Limitations of Automated
Multimedia Content Analysis <https://cdt.org/do-you-see-what-i-see>/, is
accompanied by an infographic
<https://cdt.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/CDT-Five-Limits-of-Automated-Multimedia-Content-Analysis.pdf>
that summarizes five main limitations of using these automated tools at
scale. We argue that researchers, civil society advocates, policy-makers
and others should be aware of these limitations particularly when trying
to address content moderation issues.

We also have a twitter thread
<https://twitter.com/CenDemTech/status/1395363930638364674> with a few
highlights from the report.

thanks,

Dhanaraj

--

*Dhanaraj Thakur* (he/him) | Research Director
Center for Democracy & Technology |*cdt.org <https://cdt.org/>*