Connectionists: Postdoc in Computational Neurology (Epilepsy) (Newcastle, UK)

Peter Taylor Peter.Taylor at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue May 4 09:52:35 EDT 2021

Dear all,

A postdoc position is currently available in my lab working on brain networks & epilepsy. Start date is flexible for up to two years duration in the first instance. Application deadline is 24 May. Details below, or see the following link if you are interested:

https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CFF909/research-assistant-associate-in-computational-neurology-epilepsy

Cheers,

Peter

The Role

You are invited for a Research Assistant/Associate in Computational Neurology to work on an exciting project entitled: "SurgeryNet: Epilepsy surgery induced brain network changes: relation to patient outcomes".

Focal epilepsy is a serious neurological disorder in which patients have repeated seizures thought to originate from localised brain tissue. Surgery as a treatment for epilepsy is effective in stopping seizures for many patients. However, for the remainder, seizures continue even after such an invasive procedure. Currently a wide range of clinical data is collected from patients during pre-surgical evaluation from MRI, EEG, MEG to localise the epileptogenic tissue. We recently developed advanced computational methods to identify abnormal brain areas and predict subsequent outcomes from surgery using such data.

You will extend our existing analysis techniques and apply them to new data from patients with epilepsy. Your goal is to improve localisation of epileptogenic tissue and predict subsequent patient outcomes.

Experience required:

• You will have substantial experience in processing of at least one of the following imaging modalities (multiple preferred): Diffusion weighted MRI, EEG, MEG, Functional MRI.

• You will have experience of at least one of the following analysis techniques (multiple preferred): Source localisation, Network analysis, graph theory, Dynamical systems theory, Dimensionality reduction, Machine learning.

You will join the CNNP lab (http://www.cnnp-lab.com/) which is well supported with recent epilepsy funding of over £1.5m. The lab currently has expertise across a range of techniques and access to data from over 300 individuals with epilepsy. The lab is based in the School of Computing at the Newcastle Helix site in Newcastle City Centre (http://www.newcastlehelix.com/), with state-of-the-art facilities. Extensive support and mentoring are available to all team members, and a generous budget for travel and computing equipment will be provided.

The post is available immediately and is offered on a full-time, fixed-term basis for 24 months from date of appointment. We would be happy to discuss arrangements for flexible and/or blended working.

We are committed to building and maintaining a fair and inclusive working environment. We appoint on merit and particularly welcome applications from groups that are currently underrepresented in computing such as LGBTQ+, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) colleagues and individuals who legally identify as female.

Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Dr Peter Taylor (mailto:peter.taylor at newcastle.ac.uk).

https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CFF909/research-assistant-associate-in-computational-neurology-epilepsy

--

Dr Peter Neal Taylor,

UKRI Future Leaders Fellow, Lecturer in Data Science,

Computational Neurology, Neuroscience & Psychiatry Lab, ICOS group,

School of Computing,

Newcastle Helix,

Newcastle University, UK

www.cnnp-lab.com<http://www.cnnp-lab.com/>