Connectionists: Postdoc on Alzheimer's Disease modeling (Inria, UCL, BCAM)

desroche mathieu.desroches at inria.fr
Mon Jun 14 10:27:12 EDT 2021

Dear all,

This is an invitation to join a multidisciplinary research on Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) for a 24-month postdoc. The project aims at combining mathematics and novel experiments to better understand the causes of the progressive symptoms of memory impairment in persons living with AD.

Despite progress, AD research has hit a bottleneck and to date there are no effective treatments to prevent AD. It is now recognised that this is partially due to limitations in AD mice models that do not recapitulate human AD, to conflicting results and research focus on molecular mechanisms. We aim to overcome these limitations by exploring a gab in our understading of abnormal synaptic process (including neural-glia, inflammatory processes) and neural tissue dynamics that lead to AD. To this end, we will combine state-of-the-art experiments based on human brain tissue data, recent mice model that recapitulate human AD, mathematics and computations, which in tandem will address the multi-factorial nature of the disease for future successful drug development.

The project is part of a long-standing collaboration between Mathieu Desroches (MathNeuro Project-Team, Inria Sophia Antipolis, France), Serafim Rodrigues (MCEN research group, Basque Center for Applied Mathematics, Bilbao, Spain) and Afia B Ali (School of Pharmacology, University College London, UK) on neurotransmission and its possible disruptions (see here <https://www.pnas.org/content/113/8/E1108.short>). The postdoc will strongly interact with these three researchers.

Regarding profiles that we are seeking, familiarity of the candidate with mathematical modeling in Neuroscience. Experience with multiple-timescale systems is wishable but not mandatory. Ability and willingness to do programming, as well as analyse experimental data, will also be a strong point to select candidates.

Please apply online via the following page:
https://recrutement.inria.fr/public/classic/fr/offres/2021-03775 <https://recrutement.inria.fr/public/classic/fr/offres/2021-03775>

For informal enquiries, please contact me: mathieu.desroches at inria.fr <mailto:mathieu.desroches at inria.fr>

Dr. Mathieu Desroches
Research Scientist (Chargé de Recherche)
MathNeuro Project Team Leader <https://team.inria.fr/mathneuro/>
Inria Sophia Antipolis - Méditerranée, France
http://www-sop.inria.fr/members/Mathieu.Desroches/ <http://www-sop.inria.fr/members/Mathieu.Desroches/>