Connectionists: JImaging Special Issue on "Advances in Deep Neural Networks for Visual Pattern Recognition"

Stadelmann Thilo (stdm) stdm at zhaw.ch
Wed Jun 9 11:18:23 EDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

we cordially invite you to submit methodical or applied contributions on advances in deep neural networks for visual pattern recognition to our upcoming special issue in the Journal of Imaging. For details, please see https://www.mdpi.com/journal/jimaging/special_issues/deep_neural_network.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- supervised, semisupervised, and unsupervised deep learning
- deep reinforcement learning and active vision
- principles and best practices for neural network architecture design
- generative models for pattern recognition
- interpretability and explainability of neural networks
- robustness and generalization of neural networks (e.g., confidence, sample efficiency, out-of-distribution performance)
- metalearning, Auto-ML
- image classification and segmentation
- object detection
- document analysis, e.g., handwriting recognition
- biometrics
- industrial applications such as predictive maintenance, automatic quality control, etc.
- medical image processing, digital histopathology

Best reargds,
Thilo Stadelmann & Frank-Peter Schilling
Guest Editors