Connectionists: [jobs] Two postdoc openings: modelling and control of bio-protective robots for injury prevention and movement rehabilitation across large temporal scales (University of Twente)

Massimo Sartori massimo.srt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 13:24:53 EDT 2021

Do you want to develop wearable technologies for preventing musculoskeletal
injuries in occupational settings, e.g., factory workers performing manual
tasks? Do you want to understand how skeletal muscles change their
biological structure in response to mechanical stimuli and how
rehabilitation robots (e.g., exoskeletons, robotic dynamometers) can steer
such structural changes over time?

The Neuro-Mechanical Modeling and Engineering Lab (Department of
Biomechanical Engineering, University of Twente) is seeking for two
outstanding postdoctoral fellows to work on two large-scale European
projects respectively:

   - H2020 ERC project INTERACT: https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/803035
   - H2020 RIA project SOPHIA: https://project-sophia.eu

*Please, apply via the links below:*

   - *Postdoc opening 1 (INTERACT project): Modeling skeletal muscle
   adaptation for the control of rehabilitation robots across large temporal
   scales: Apply here: https://www.utwente.nl/en/organisation/careers/!/128/
   <https://www.utwente.nl/en/organisation/careers/!/128/> by September 13,
   2021. *

   - *Postdoc opening 2 (SOPHIA project): Computational models of
   musculoskeletal injury prediction and control of bio-protective exosuits:
   Apply here: https://www.utwente.nl/en/organisation/careers/!/127/
   <https://www.utwente.nl/en/organisation/careers/!/127/> by August 31,
   2021. *

We offer high-reaching positions with a generous allowance as well as
extraordinary research facilities and working environment. Your work will
be facilitated by in-house expertise and mentorship. You will collaborate
with top-scientists on aspects including exoskeleton control, skeletal
muscle modelling, statistical modelling, giving large opportunity of growth
and to perform impactful research!

*The INTERACT Project *aims to develop predictive models of the
neuromuscular system to establish new closed-loop control methods for
robotics-based neuro-rehabilitation. With a focus on spinal cord electrical
stimulation and robotic exoskeleton, we will demonstrate how motor
dysfunction is repaired by inducing optimal changes in neuromuscular
targets.

   - Project Page: https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/803035

*The SOPHIA Project *seeks to realize adaptable and safe human-robot
collaborative environments. Through well-tested sensing methods, modeling,
and control algorithms, SOPHIA will see humans and robots working together
in factory production settings. In this way, SOPHIA will remove the
separation between man and machine to improve factory output. SOPHIA
consortium encompasses a large international consortium of academic and
industrial partners.

   - Project Page: https://project-sophia.eu

*The Neuro-Mechanical Modelling & Engineering Lab. *We interface robotic
technologies with the neuromuscular system to improve movement. We apply
modelling and signal processing, in a translational way, to develop novel
real-time bio-inspired assistive technologies. Our goal is to establish a
roadmap for discovering fundamental principles of movement at the interface
between humans and wearable robots ultimately for improving human health.
Check out our pages:

   - Lab: https://bit.ly/NMLab
   - YouTube: https://bit.ly/NMLTube

*The University of Twente*. We stand for life sciences and technology. High
tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology
which leads change, innovation and progress in society. We have a strong
focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for
carrying out groundbreaking research (https://www.utwente.nl/en/).

---
Massimo Sartori, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Director, Neuromechanical Modeling & Engineering Lab

University of Twente
TechMed Centre
Department of Biomechanical Engineering
7500 AE, The Netherlands