Connectionists: Postdoctoral positions at NIPS in Japan: Computer simulation of synaptic biochemical signaling

Hidetoshi URAKUBO urakubo at nips.ac.jp
Sun Feb 7 22:09:29 EST 2021

Dear Connectionists:

We invite applications for a postdoctoral researcher in the area of
mathematical/computational modeling of biochemical signaling in
neuronal synapses. Based on a grant (#), A new collaborative project
with Kyoto U and Nagoya U has been launched for the modeling of
liquid-liquid phase separation (LLPS) of synaptic molecules. The
successful candidate will develop computational/theoretical models
that describe the LLPS and simulate the spatiotemporal dynamics of
synaptic biochemical signaling, to elucidate how our learning and
memory are organized. We are expecting a researcher who will conduct
Monte Carlo simulation under the scheme of the Flory-Huggins (FH)
theory, as well as the reaction-diffusion simulation of biochemical
molecules.

(#) Spatiotemporal dynamics of intracellular components, CREST, Japan
Science and Technology Agency (JST), Japan.
 https://www.jst.go.jp/kisoken/crest//en/research_area/ongoing/area2020-1.html

  We are also conducting a long-standing project on electron
microscopic (EM) connectomics. We will welcome the applicants who can
contribute to this project from the informatics aspect.
National Institute for physiological science (NIPS) is a high-quality
national institute for neuroscience in Japan, like Riken CBS. NIPS is
located in Aichi prefecture, the middle part of Japan.

https://www.nips.ac.jp/eng/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aichi_Prefecture
http://www2.aia.pref.aichi.jp/tope/foreigner.html

Please feel free to ask questions about this research position to
Hidetoshi Urakubo (urakubo at nips.ac.jp).

1. Job title
Full-time Postdoctral Researcher

2. Begin date
April 1st 2021 (negotiable)

3. Appointment period
Annually renewed based on evaluation. Up to Sep/2025.

4. Workplace
NIPS, Okazaki, Japan
http://www.nips.ac.jp/circuit/
5-1 Myodaiji-Higashiyama, Okazaki, Aichi, 444-8787, Japan

5. Qualifications
Applicants must:
- have Ph.D. (or be near the completion of the degree).
- have strong motivations and ambitions to participate in the research above.

6. Compensation
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Social
insurance will be applied. Days off include public holidays, New
Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), summer vacation, and sick leave.
These and other provisions are in accordance with NIPS regulations.
Please inquire it with your CV if the salary information is needed at
the early stage of selection.

7. Required documents
Please send the following five materials to the email address below:
7-1. Complete CV
7-2. List of publications
7-3. Reprints of 1 to 3 major publications
7-4. Document (one or two pages in A4 or letter size) describing:
- Summary of your previous research
- Interests and proposal for research
- Technical skills (programming skills, etc)
7-5. Two letters of recommendation (including one from the current
supervisor, if available)

8. Deadline
February 28 (Sun), 2021 (will be extended)

9. Selection
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.

10. Application and Contact
Hidetoshi Urakubo, Ph.D.
Email: urakubo at nips.ac.jp
Project Assistant Professor, Division of Cerebral Circuitry,
Department of Fundamental Neuroscience,
National Institute for Physiological Sciences (NIPS),
5-1 Myodaiji-Higashiyama, Okazaki, Aichi, 444-8787, Japan
Phone: +81-564-59-5280
https://researchmap.jp/urakubo?lang=en
http://www.nips.ac.jp/circuit/