Connectionists: Job: research software engineer @ SWC/GCNU

Joaquin Rapela j.rapela at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Aug 9 08:14:33 EDT 2021

Hello list,

I am the first member of the newly established Data Center of the Gatsby
Computational Neuroscience Unit (GCNU) and Sainsbury Wellcome Centre (SWC). The
GCNU develops state-of-the-art neural data analysis and machine learning
algorithms. The SWC performs sophisticated neuroscience experiments, and
records unprecedented behavioral and neural data. Combining these data analysis
methods and these behavioral and neural recordings we will revolutionize our
understanding of how computation in neural circuits gives rise to behavior.

The Data Center is growing and is looking for a research engineer; details
appear below. Please contact Tom Mrsic-Flogel
(https://www.sainsburywellcome.org/web/people/tom-mrsic-flogel), director of
the SWC, or send me an email, if you have any question about this position.

Cordially, Joaquin

RESEARCH SOFTWARE ENGINEER - BEHAVIOUR AND NEURAL DATA

The Sainsbury Wellcome Centre and  the Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit
are looking for a proactive and creative Research Software Engineer to join the
technical team in a newly established Data Centre.

This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in establishing data
architectures and data processing pipelines for efficient querying of complex,
large-scale and multi-format datasets of neural and behavioural data. Your work
will directly contribute to our efforts to understand how the brain generates
flexible, intelligent behaviour.

The role will include developing, training and supervising a small team of
research engineers to assist with the implementation of the software design and
documentation. You will have a collaborative approach to work and the ability
to build strong working relationships with colleagues to deliver successful
research outcomes.

Working alongside our IT team, you will create data management workflows for
internal users and for sharing of data with the international research
community. You will work closely with neuroscientists, electrical and
mechanical engineers to design large-scale data collection, analysis and
interactive visualization systems for next generation brain data.

You will have advanced experience with systems programming languages and
substantial experience in Python, NumPy or MATLAB. Substantial experience and
knowledge of software development best practice including testing,
documentation and version control is essential.

With a competitive salary and benefits, this post is full time and funded until
31 October 2025 in the first instance.

For further details download the information for candidates (https://www.sainsburywellcome.org/web/sites/default/files/2021-07/Job%20Description%20and%20Person%20Specification%20-%20Research%20Software%20Engineer%20-%201877801.pdf).

To apply visit UCL's vacancy listings and search for the advert using reference
number 1877608. Click on "Apply Now" at the bottom of the advert to enter the
online recruitment portal.

The deadline for applications is Sunday 22 August 2021.