Connectionists: Avalanche: an End-to-End Library for Continual Learning

Vincenzo Lomonaco vinxlemons at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 12:47:01 EDT 2021

Dear all,

We are excited to share with you Avalanche
<https://avalanche.continualai.org/>: a project we have been working on
within the ContinualAI <https://www.continualai.org/> non-profit research
organization and with the support of 15+ organizations across Europe,
United States and China!

The main goal of Avalanche <https://avalanche.continualai.org/> is to push
Continual Learning to the next level, providing a shared,
𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧-𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐜𝐞 and 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 library for fast
prototyping, training and reproducible evaluation of *continual learning*
*algorithms*! 🚀

*Avalanche* is a first-in-class example of open-source, community-driven
software, MIT licensed and entirely 𝐦𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐲 *a*
𝐧𝐨𝐧-𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐟𝐢𝐭
𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐳𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 (©️ ContinualAI
<https://www.continualai.org/>).

As a powerful avalanche, a Continual Learning agent incrementally improves
its knowledge and skills over time, building upon the previously acquired
ones and learning how to interact with the external world.

We hope Avalanche may trigger the same positive reinforcement loop within
the machine learning community, moving towards a more collaborative and
inclusive way of doing research and helping us tackle bigger problems,
𝐟𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 and 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫! 👪

I hope you will help us shape and achieve the Avalanche bold vision: Join
our team, we are always looking for new maintainers and contributors! Or
just give us a star on GitHub <https://github.com/ContinualAI/avalanche>, a
little effort that would help us a lot!

📍 GitHub: https://github.com/ContinualAI/avalanche
📍 Official Website: https://avalanche.continualai.org
📍 Api-Doc: https://avalanche-api.continualai.org

Best regards,
Vincenzo Lomonaco

***********************
Vincenzo Lomonaco, PhD
*Assistant Professor @ University of Pisa*
*Co-Founding President & Lab Director @ ContinualAI.org
<http://continualai.org/>*
*Personal Website: http://www.vincenzolomonaco.com
<http://www.vincenzolomonaco.com/>*
***********************
* Principal Maintainer of Avalanche: an End-to-End Library for Continual
Learning <https://avalanche.continualai.org/> (Join Us
<https://avalanche.continualai.org/contacts-and-links/join-us>)!
* Co-chair of the CVPR 2021 Continual Learning Workshop
<https://sites.google.com/view/clvision2021/overview?authuser=0> (Join us
June 25th!)
* Co-Editor of the Special issue on AI for People
<https://www.springer.com/journal/146/updates/18583616> (call for paper OPEN
<https://www.springer.com/journal/146/updates/18583616>!)
* Latest paper: Continual Learning for Recurrent Neural Networks: an
Empirical Evaluation <https://arxiv.org/abs/2103.07492>