Connectionists: Openings at the interface of Computational Neuroscience and AI

sa474 salva.ardid at yale.edu
Mon Sep 14 03:20:10 EDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to announce three new openings, 2 PhD candidate positions and 1 Research Assistant position, in my Lab at the Universitat Politècnica de València (UPV) in Spain, to participate in research projects related to Artificial Intelligence, Computational Cognitive Neuroscience, and their interface.

Candidates for these positions are expected to have a quantitative background and strong interests in at least one of the following goals:

- Apply state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms and/or neural circuit modeling to address questions in Life Sciences and Physics.

- Adapt computationally efficient cognitive mechanisms into AI architectures (such as deep neural networks) aiming for more powerful learning algorithms.

- Identify physiological mechanisms of brain function and dysfunction, in particular, the neural substrates of learning governing flexible, goal-directed behavior.

Candidates should have a background in Computer Science, Electric Engineering, Physics, Math, Biology, or similar, and good programming skills (e.g., Python, R, Matlab, JavaScript, C++). Knowledge of dynamical systems modeling, time series analysis, machine learning and/or computational neuroscience would be an advantage. Candidates for the PhD positions should also have a Master degree, and candidates for the Research Assistant position should have a Bachelor degree, or similar.

Gross salary for the PhD candidates and for the Research Assistant will be around 1400 €/month.

Candidates from under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Our Lab is inclusive and committed to equity and diversity.

The administrative period to apply at UPV will be from Sept 21 to Oct 2, 2020. The start date will be in November 2020.

Candidates interested in these openings please contact me (Salva Ardid, E-mail: sardid at upv dot es) as soon as possible to know more about the selection process. Please provide an informal motivation letter (it can be embedded in the email body), a brief CV/resume, and the name and contact information of two referees willing to support your application with a recommendation letter.

A brief note on our Lab’s location: Our group is located at the UPV campus in Gandia. Gandia is a historical, cultural, and touristic city located on the shoreline of eastern Spain, 65 km (40 mi) south of València (about 1 hour by train/car). València is the third most popular city in Spain after Barcelona and Madrid. The cost of living of València is significantly lower than that of Barcelona and Madrid (and this is even further the case for Gandia).

Salva Ardid
GenT Distinguished Research Group Leader
Universitat Politècnica de València

Paranimf 1
Edifici D, Despatx D-210
Gandia, 46730