Connectionists: Deadline Extension for BiasWatchNeuro Award for Equity and Inclusivity

Bias WatchNeuro biaswatchneuro at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 11:39:13 EDT 2020

*Deadline extension:* Nomination letters for the BiasWatchNeuro Award
for Equity and Inclusivity will be accepted *through September 15th*!
Please see biaswatchneuro.com/bwn-award

Diverse voices and ideas deserve to be heard equitably in science. Since
2015, BiasWatchNeuro has worked to increase the representation of women in
neuroscience and related fields, emphasizing in particular the
representation of women as invited speakers at conferences. However, women
are not the only group that is confronted with implicit biases and
systemic obstacles in science. Minoritized groups are
severely underrepresented at every level of the academic career path — from
undergraduate education to faculty. Attempts to diversify departments have
increased, but the reality is that many universities and institutions still
embody and perpetuate both the historical influence of being established by
men of privilege, and the persisting effects of systemic racism in our
society. Even as more diverse student bodies are recruited, the culture in
many departments and institutions is not welcoming to and supportive of
those that belong to minoritized groups. Intersectionality adds another
layer of disadvantage, with minoritized women being especially
underrepresented and unsupported.

*It is time to change this reality and build a new one, in our departments
and institutions. Black scientists matter. Latinx scientists matter.
LGBTQAI+ scientists matter. First generation scientists matter. Low income
scientists matter. Intersectionality matters.*

BiasWatchNeuro is excited to announce a new Annual Award for Equity and
Inclusivity, awarded to a neuroscience or neuroscience-related department,
institute or program that demonstrates the exceptional creation of a
culture where individuals underrepresented and/or marginalized in STEM
feel integral to the community and thrive.

We recognize that no department/institute/program is perfect*. However,
some are doing much better than others, and should be recognized for this.
Nomination letters for winners and runner ups will be made public (without
the list of signatories, which will remain confidential), to showcase
successful methods for creating an inclusive and equitable culture, and
to provide prospective trainees at all levels with information that can
inform their decisions of where to apply to. We hope that this will help us
all improve our practices and move toward a day in which all
neuroscientists feel seen, respected, and supported.

*Nominations for the 2020 award will be accepted through September 15,
2020. Awards will be announced in late September. *

Letter of nomination signed by one or more trainees (current and/or alumni;
including post-bacc/RAs; faculty cannot nominate their current program)
should be sent to biaswatchneuro at gmail.com. Letters should describe in
detail specific actions and elements that promote inclusivity and equity,
and their impact on underrepresented/marginalized groups. More than one
letter and/or letters with multiple signatories will be viewed favorably.

Names of the nominating people will remain confidential and will not be
seen by anyone except a small award committee, who are committed to
confidentiality.  The letter itself will be made public only with
permission and after redactions as warranted to maintain the
confidentiality of the nominators.

—————

* We are aware that many institutions are in the midst of a process to
increase equity and inclusivity in their departments, institutes and
programs, and have not yet reached close to their desired goal. However,
the aim of this award — and the nomination letters — is to highlight
methods and efforts that are effective, even while realizing that more work
needs to be done. *Please consider nominating your
department/institute/program not because they are perfect, but because some
of what they are doing can be helpful for others to know about.*

We also encourage nominations of units for the work of *individuals, committees
or groups within them* — even if the unit as a whole has not yet moved the
needle as much as one would have hoped for. If this is the case in your
institution, please note in your nomination letter the subgroups
or individuals who are the strand bearers and should be highlighted by
the award.

*Please make your nomination letters as specific as possible by
highlighting the activities that have been successful or are underway*, for
instance (but not limited to)
- Having an active inclusive teaching committee
- Encouraging faculty to undergo syllabus review
- Making sure there are regular safe spaces (e.g., a weekly chat) to talk
about issues of climate and inclusion
- Investing in trainee and faculty recruitment and retention to enhance
departmental diversity
- Organizing read-ins for faculty to discuss books on social and racial
justice
- Organizing a diversity-related journal club
etc.

We emphasize that any winner of the award will be congratulated for
what they have done so far—but expected to do more in the future. The award
is for one year only, and next year the institution will have to compete
for it again. As we all improve our practices, the standards for winning
will increase. That is the goal of this award — to catalyze a process.