Connectionists: PhD Opportunities for the Cognitive Anteater Robotics Laboratory at UC Irvine

Jeffrey Krichmar jkrichma at uci.edu
Mon Sep 7 18:51:41 EDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

We are recruiting PhD students for the Fall of 2021 in the Department of Cognitive Sciences and the Department of Computer Science at the University of California, Irvine. Students will have the opportunity to work in the Cognitive Anteater Robotics Laboratory, which conducts research in assistive robotics, computational neuroscience, machine learning, neural networks, neuromorphic engineering and neurorobotics. Applicants should have a strong mathematical and computer programming background, as well as good communication skills.

Current Federally funded projects include:
·      Artificial Intelligence for Novelty Detection
·      Cognitive Maps in Rats, Robots and Men
·      Lifelong Learning Machines
·      Sparse Predictive Coding for Efficient Visual Navigation

More information about the lab, recent publications, software, and videos can be found at:
·      http://www.socsci.uci.edu/~jkrichma
·      https://www.youtube.com/user/cognitiveroboticsuci/videos

Successful applicants will receive funding toward their Ph.D. for at least 5 years.

Students interested in applying can contact me at: jkrichma at uci.edu

Details about the graduate programs can be found at:
·      https://www.cogsci.uci.edu/graduate/index.php
·      https://www.ics.uci.edu/grad/admissions/index

About UCI (www.uci.edu):

In 1965, the University of California, Irvine was founded with a mission to catalyze the community and enhance lives through rigorous academics, cutting-edge research, and dedicated public service. Today, we draw on the unyielding spirit of our pioneering faculty, staff and students who arrived on campus with a dream to inspire change and generate new ideas. We believe that true progress is made when different perspectives come together to advance our understanding of the world around us. And we enlighten our communities and point the way to a better future. At UCI, we shine brighter.

Jeff Krichmar
Department of Cognitive Sciences
2328 Social & Behavioral Sciences Gateway
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-5100
jkrichma at uci.edu
http://www.socsci.uci.edu/~jkrichma