Connectionists: Reminder: Explainable AI, a free Inaugural Workshop by the International Neural Networks, Society, Friday, 6 November, 2020

Danilo Mandic d.mandic at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Oct 30 04:49:36 EDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that INNS (the International Neural Network
Society) is launching a Virtual Technical Event series that will feature
workshops, seminars, tutorials, discussions and so on. These technical
events will occur throughout the year for a worldwide audience. We
welcome proposals on challenging and controversial research topics and
ones that provide new insights on biological learning. Through this
series of virtual technical events, we would like to serve the growing
need for advanced education in a variety of fields that are linked
together such as AI, machine learning, neural networks, cognitive
science, robotics and so on. Further details on proposal submission are
available at https://www.inns.org/virtual-technical-events
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.inns.org/virtual-technical-events__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mvb9e7f-jx4nY56X5OgMBh4zbDMpDsob3zF0zWGe-xoIUbCLkU2TU2Hsg1YsH24TrgfD$>.

We also welcome proposals from the industry and industry sponsorship of
these events.

*_FREE Inaugural Virtual Workshop on Explainable AI on November 6, 2020,
Friday, 9 am to 1 pm EST_*

This inaugural workshop focuses on Explainable AI (XAI), a topic that is
highly important for us to widely deploy our AI/ML systems. We invited
five prominent scholars to present their thoughts in this virtual
workshop. Further details are provided below including where to register
for the event.

*_WORKSHOP SPEAKERS_*

 1. *Stephen Grossberg*, Wang Professor of Cognitive and Neural Systems,
    Boston University, http://sites.bu.edu/steveg/
    <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/sites.bu.edu/steveg/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mvb9e7f-jx4nY56X5OgMBh4zbDMpDsob3zF0zWGe-xoIUbCLkU2TU2Hsg1YsH-V_ASqS$>
 2. *Juergen Schmidhuber*, Scientific Director of IDSIA
    <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.idsia.ch/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mvb9e7f-jx4nY56X5OgMBh4zbDMpDsob3zF0zWGe-xoIUbCLkU2TU2Hsg1YsH4YuDoYy$>,
    http://people.idsia.ch/~juergen/
    <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/people.idsia.ch/*juergen/__;fg!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mvb9e7f-jx4nY56X5OgMBh4zbDMpDsob3zF0zWGe-xoIUbCLkU2TU2Hsg1YsH-iJoF11$>
 3. *Jeff Krichmar*, Professor of Cognitive Sciences, University of
    California, Irvine, http://www.socsci.uci.edu/~jkrichma
    <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.socsci.uci.edu/*jkrichma__;fg!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mvb9e7f-jx4nY56X5OgMBh4zbDMpDsob3zF0zWGe-xoIUbCLkU2TU2Hsg1YsHykeyBRe$>
 4. *Vladimir Cherkassky*, Professor of ECE, Univ. of Minnesota,
    https://ece.umn.edu/directory/cherkassky-vladimir/
    <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/ece.umn.edu/directory/cherkassky-vladimir/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mvb9e7f-jx4nY56X5OgMBh4zbDMpDsob3zF0zWGe-xoIUbCLkU2TU2Hsg1YsHxGY1LLP$>
 5. *Lee Giles*, Professor of Information Sciences, Pennsylvania State
    University, https://clgiles.ist.psu.edu/
    <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/clgiles.ist.psu.edu/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mvb9e7f-jx4nY56X5OgMBh4zbDMpDsob3zF0zWGe-xoIUbCLkU2TU2Hsg1YsH0wngY17$>

*_MODERATORS_*:

*Asim Roy*, Professor, Arizona State University
(https://lifeboat.com/ex/bios.asim.roy
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/lifeboat.com/ex/bios.asim.roy__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mvb9e7f-jx4nY56X5OgMBh4zbDMpDsob3zF0zWGe-xoIUbCLkU2TU2Hsg1YsH1_pfQS-$>)

*Daniel Levine*, Professor, University of Texas at Arlington
(https://www.uta.edu/psychology/people/daniel-levine.php
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.uta.edu/psychology/people/daniel-levine.php__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mvb9e7f-jx4nY56X5OgMBh4zbDMpDsob3zF0zWGe-xoIUbCLkU2TU2Hsg1YsHxfNIP8q$>)

*_FORMAT_*: Each speaker – 35 minute presentation + 10 mins Q&A

*_REGISTRATION_*-
https://www.eventbrite.hk/e/explainable-ai-xai-virtual-workshop-registration-122938932657
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.eventbrite.hk/e/explainable-ai-xai-virtual-workshop-registration-122938932657__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mvb9e7f-jx4nY56X5OgMBh4zbDMpDsob3zF0zWGe-xoIUbCLkU2TU2Hsg1YsH7hLGSbG$>

With regards,

Irwin King

INNS President, FIEEE, FHKIE, DMACM, BoG APNNS & INNS
Chair, Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering  o +(852) 3943-8398
The Chinese University of Hong Kong             f +(852) 2603-5024
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong http://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/irwin.king
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk_irwin.king&d=DwMFaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=d9FCOJpcYDcXPu05rxOEEQFoq0r-F2IaLKJJPc-almk&m=eUgE1_aBcDGN5jLYIo5KXHNieOkP4xdDfYuoMZNDkt4&s=2pA5qdMzEuEcu7ebKHyY_JFJSPCURWEaqU4_jzwFOFQ&e=>

Asim Roy
VP, Industry Relations, INNS
Chair, Committee for Virtual Technical Events, INNS
Professor, Arizona State University
https://lifeboat.com/ex/bios.asim.roy
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/lifeboat.com/ex/bios.asim.roy__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mvb9e7f-jx4nY56X5OgMBh4zbDMpDsob3zF0zWGe-xoIUbCLkU2TU2Hsg1YsH1_pfQS-$>

Danilo Mandic