Connectionists: PhD position in ASR & NLP

Phil Garner pgarner at idiap.ch
Tue Oct 20 11:13:50 EDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

There is a fully funded PhD position open at Idiap Research Institute on
"Speech recognition and natural language processing for digital interviews".

At a high level, we are interested in how candidates for jobs respond in
structured selection interviews; in particular how they are able to tell
stories about past work situations. More concretely, we will investigate speech
recognition architectures suitable for such interviews, and natural language
processing solutions that are able to infer the higher level semantics required
by our collaborators in the social sciences.

A-priori, given that it is the higher level semantics that are of interest, we
expect to make use of recent lexicon-free approaches to speech recognition. We
also expect to draw from the rapidly advancing language modelling field with
tools such as BERT and its successors. There will be ample opportunity for
research in the component technologies, which are all currently pertinent in
the general machine learning landscape. In particular, we expect to make
advances in the technological interfaces between component technologies, and in
the humanist interfaces between the machine learning practitioners and social
scientists.

For more information, and to apply, please follow this link:
  http://www.idiap.ch/education-and-jobs/job-10312

Idiap is located in Martigny in French speaking Switzerland, but functions in
English and hosts many nationalities.  PhD students are registered at EPFL. All
positions offer quite generous salaries. Martigny has a distillery and a
micro-brewery and is close to all manner of skiing, hiking and mountain life.

There are other open positions on Idiap's main page
  https://www.idiap.ch/en/join-us/job-opportunities

Sincerely,
--
Phil Garner