Connectionists: Faculty Positions in the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou Campus)

Tong ZHANG tongzhang at ust.hk
Mon Oct 5 01:57:54 EDT 2020

Dear colleagues,
Faculty positions are available in the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou Campus).

Founding Faculty in the Information Hub
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) invites applications for founding faculty positions in Artificial Intelligence (AI) for its new campus in Guangzhou (GZ). HKUST(GZ) is interested in candidates at all ranks with a demonstrated ability to pursue high-impact research in AI, either in its algorithmic foundation, or in its translational applications.
In addition to traditional AI related research areas such as machine learning, data mining, computer vision, natural language processing, we encourage candidates working in interdisciplinary research areas to apply. In particular, we look for candidates who can successfully apply AI to develop transformative technologies  to improve our society, in fields such as media, design, finance, manufacturing, medicine, security, and smart living, etc.  The Guangzhou/Shenzhen bay area is also one of the world’s most important technology hub with great potential for collaboration with the local industry and for commercialization of translational technology.
We welcome senior candidates to apply, especially those who can help with the strategic development of the AI trust area for the new Guangzhou campus. This is a rare opportunity for candidates who want to influence the very early development of a top-ranked new university campus with endless potential for growth.
Remuneration
HKUST(GZ) offers highly competitive salary of international standard and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Generous research funds, ample laboratory space and excellent research equipment and support will be provided. Housing allowances will also be provided.
Application Procedure
Applications should be sent to <gzrecruitINF at ust.hk<mailto:gzrecruitINF at ust.hk>> together with (i) full CV; (ii) a statement of research, teaching, and service; (iii) up to five most representative publications in PDF formats; (iv) record of teaching performance (if any); and (v) names and contact information of three referees. Applications will be evaluated as soon as they are received, and will receive full consideration until positions are filled.
About the Information Hub
The HKUST(GZ) Information Hub focuses on addressing global challenges arising from human interactions with information and technology in an era of digital transformation. The Hub is mainly comprised of four thrust areas: Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Analytics, Future Communication Networks, and Digital Media and Arts. We have also established an Internet of Things (IoT) division focusing on technology transfer and industrial projects. In each of these areas, we are committed to providing a world-class education and conducting cutting-edge research with practical applications, with the purpose of becoming a world leader in information technology innovation and translation.

About HKUST Guangzhou Campus [https://gz.ust.hk/]
HKUST(GZ) offers a unique educational environment with four transdisciplinary hubs and 16 thrust areas. HKUST(GZ) offers superb research facilities, attracting top international faculty and students to conduct curiosity-driven and goal-oriented research to address the world’s pressing scientific and technological challenges.
HKUST(GZ) is situated in Nansha District, Guangzhou, which is right in the center of the Greater Bay Area, one of the most vibrant and dynamic regions in the world, neighboring Shenzhen, Hong Kong, and Macao. It is about 30 minutes away from Hong Kong by high-speed train. The new campus is under construction and is planned to open in 2022. The successful candidate may start working on the Clear Water Bay campus in Hong Kong before the new campus is completed.
----
Tong Zhang