Connectionists: Call for papers: 7th ICML Workshop on Automated Machine Learning (AutoML 2020)

Frank Hutter fh at cs.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Mar 28 13:06:14 EDT 2020

Dear all,

We're happy to announce the 7th ICML Workshop on Automated Machine Learning
(AutoML), which will be held on July 17 or July 18, 2020, as part of the
ICML conference (as a virtual event, like ICML).

Machine learning has achieved considerable successes in recent years, but
this success often relies on human experts, who construct appropriate
features, design learning architectures, set their hyperparameters, and
develop new learning algorithms. Driven by the demand for off-the-shelf
machine learning methods from an ever-growing community, the research area
of AutoML targets the progressive automation of machine learning aiming to
make effective methods available to everyone. Hence, the workshop targets a
broad audience ranging from core machine learning researchers in different
fields of ML connected to AutoML, such as neural architecture search,
hyperparameter optimization, meta-learning, and learning to learn, to
domain experts aiming to apply machine learning to new types of problems.

*We invite submissions on the topics of:*

   -     Model selection, hyper-parameter optimization, and model search
   -     Neural architecture search
   -     Meta-learning and transfer learning
   -     Bayesian optimization for AutoML
   -     Evolutionary algorithms for AutoML
   -     Multi-fidelity optimization
   -     Predictive models of performance
   -     Automatic feature extraction / construction
   -     Automatic data cleaning
   -     Automatic generation of workflows / workflow reuse
   -     Automatic problem "ingestion" (from raw data and miscellaneous
   formats)
   -     Automatic feature transformation to match algorithm requirements
   -     Automatic acquisition of new data (active learning, experimental
   design)
   -     Automatic report generation (providing insight on automatic data
   analysis)
   -     Automatic selection of evaluation metrics / validation procedures
   -     Automatic selection of algorithms under time/space/power
   constraints
   -     Automatic construction of fair and unbiased machine learning models
   -     Automation of semi-supervised and unsupervised machine learning
   -     Demos of existing AutoML systems
   -     Robustness of AutoML systems (w.r.t. Randomized algorithms, data,
   hardware etc.)
   -     Human-in-the-loop approaches for AutoML
   -     Learning to learn new algorithms and strategies
   -     Hyperparameter agnostic algorithms

*Submission Format*

We welcome submissions of up to 6 pages in JMLR Workshop and Proceedings
format (plus 10 pages for references and appendix). All accepted papers
will be presented as posters. We will invite the 2-3 best papers for an
oral plenary presentation. We will provide PDFs of accepted papers on
http://icml2020.automl.org/, but there will be no archival proceedings. For
submission details please see the submission page.
*Remark on COVID-19*

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, ICML will be an entirely virtual conference
this year (https://icml.cc/Conferences/2020/VirtualICML), and the AutoML
workshop will follow suit. We are in contact with the ICML organizers about
how this will pan out exactly and will inform you as soon as possible. We
provide up-to-date information on http://icml2020.automl.org

*Keynote Speakers*

   -     Alex Smola (Director, Amazon Web Services)
   -     Mihaela van der Schaar (Professor of Machine Learning, Artificial
   Intelligence and Medicine at the University of Cambridge)
   -     Neil Lawrence (DeepMind Professor of Machine Learning at the
   University of Cambridge and visiting Professor at the University of
   Sheffield)

*Organization*

Katharina Eggensperger, Matthias Feurer, Frank Hutter, Marius Lindauer, and
Joaquin Vanschoren and Charles Weill

*Location*

The 7th ICML workshop on AutoML will be co-located with the 37th
International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2020) and will take
place on July 17th or 18th.

*Important Dates*
Deadline: April 23rd (Anywhere on earth)
Notification: May 25th (Anywhere on earth)

On behalf of the organizing committee,
Frank Hutter