Connectionists: Autonomic Computing & Self-Organizing Systems (ACSOS 2020): Extended Deadline & COVID-19

ACSOS 2020 publicity at acsos.org
Thu Mar 19 15:25:06 EDT 2020

******* ACSOS 2020 - CFP & COVID-19 Info *******1st IEEE International
Joint ICAC/SASO Conference onAutonomic Computing and Self-Organizing
Systems17-21 August 2020 – Washington, DC, USA
https://2020.acsos.org/https://twitter.com/ACSOSconf************************************************The
goal of the IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing and
Self-Organizing Systems (ACSOS) is to provide a forum for sharing the
latest research results, ideas and experiences in autonomic computing,
self-adaptation and self-organization. ACSOS was founded in 2020 as a
merger of the IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing
(ICAC) and the IEEE International Conference on Self-Adaptive and
Self-Organizing Systems (SASO). For more information about the merger,
as well as up-to-date news, see https://2020.acsos.org/news/ or follow
us at https://twitter.com/ACSOSconf!

*** Statement Regarding COVID-19 ***

The ACSOS Steering and Organizing Committees have been monitoring the
situation surrounding COVID-19, and considering what impact this may
have on events scheduled for later in the year, such as ours. We are
aware of the restrictions and uncertainty that people are facing, and
therefore want to take this opportunity to offer some certainty to the
community.

We would first like to express our empathy and condolences with those
affected by COVID-19 so far, and those who will have a difficult 2020.
Our primary concern is that members of our community, and their families
and friends, remain safe and well. Secondly, our aspiration is to enable
our whole international community to have, as much as possible, a
stimulating and equitable opportunity to share and discuss their work
and ideas in the areas of autonomic and self-organizing computing systems.

At this point we would like to announce and confirm that:

- The conference *will* take place, and on its original dates in August.

- There will be an opportunity to present virtually, for anyone who
cannot or chooses not to travel.

- All accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings by
IEEE, regardless of whether a physical or virtual presentation is given.

- The paper submission deadline will be extended by 1 month, in order to
support authors to still produce their best work, despite the additional
challenges that many of us are facing at the moment.

- Whether the conference becomes entirely virtual or a hybrid is a
decision that we will make when we know more, and by early June at the
latest. This is to ensure people have ample time to make travel
arrangements, in the case of physical attendance.

- In the tradition of ICAC and SASO, which merged to form ACSOS, ACSOS
will continue to be an IEEE sponsored conference, regardless of whether
the conference becomes fully virtual this year.

As the situation surrounding COVID-19 is evolving rapidly, it is unclear
what things will be like in the late summer. Therefore, we hope you find
the above clarifications helpful, and we appreciate your understanding
as we continue to monitor the situation carefully.*

*** Newsflash! ****We are also pleased to confirm that:- Selected papers
will be invited for extension to be published in ACM Transactions on
Autonomous and Adaptive Systems (TAAS).- Following the merger of two
IEEE conferences, ICAC and SASO, we are pleased to confirm that ACSOS
continues as an IEEE sponsored conference.- The submission deadline is
extended to the 1st May (abstracts) / 8th May (full papers).***
Important Dates - Note Extended Deadline *****May** 1, 2020: Abstract
submission deadline**May** 8, 2020: Paper submission deadlineJune 8,
2020: Notification to authorsJuly 8, 2020: Camera Ready DeadlineAugust
17-21, 2020: ACSOS Conference!

*** Challenge and Scope ***The complexity of current and emerging
networks, software, and services can be characterized by issues such as
scale, heterogeneity, openness, and dynamics, both internally and in the
environment. These issues have led the software engineering, distributed
systems, and systems management communities to look for inspiration in
diverse fields (e.g., complex systems, control theory, machine learning,
chemistry, psychology, sociology, and biology) to find new ways of
designing and managing such computing systems in a principled way. Yet
challenges remain to build autonomic systems that exhibit the desirable
self-* properties (i.e., self-organizing, self-adaptive, self-healing,
self-aware, etc).The mission of ACSOS is to provide an interdisciplinary
forum for researchers and industry practitioners to address these
challenges to make resources, applications, and systems more autonomic,
self-adaptive,  and self-organising. ACSOS provides a venue to share and
present their experiences, discuss challenges, and report
state-of-the-art and in-progress research. The conference program will
include technical research papers, in-practice experience reports,
posters, demos, and a doctoral symposium.We invite novel contributions
related to the fundamental understanding of autonomic computing,
self-adaption and self-organization along with principles and practices
of their engineering and application. The topics of interest include,
but are not limited to:

- Autonomic and Self-* system properties: robustness; resilience;
resource efficiency; stability; anti-fragility; diversity;
self-reference and reflection; emergent behavior; computational
awareness and self-awareness;- Autonomic and Self-* systems theory:
bio-inspired and socially-inspired paradigms and heuristics; theoretical
frameworks and models; formal languages; queuing and control theory;
requirement and goal expression techniques; uncertainty as a 1st class
entity- Autonomic and Self-* systems engineering: reusable mechanisms
and algorithms; design patterns; programming languages; architectures;
operating systems and middleware; testing and validation methodologies;
runtime models; techniques for assurance; platforms and toolkits;
multi-agent systems;- Data-driven management: data mining; machine
learning; data science and other statistical techniques to analyze,
understand, and manage the behavior of complex systems or establishing
self-awareness;- Mechanisms and principles for self-organisation and
self-adaptation: inter-operation of self-* mechanisms; evolution, logic,
and learning; addressing large-scale and decentralized systems;-
Socio-technical self-* systems: human and social factors; visualization;
crowdsourcing and collective awareness;- Hardware concepts for autonomic
computing systems: self-* materials; self-construction; reconfigurable
hardware;- Cross disciplinary research: approaches that draw inspiration
from complex systems, organic computing, artificial intelligence,
chemistry, psychology, sociology, and biology.

We invite research papers applying autonomic and self-* approaches to a
wide range of application areas, including:- Smart grids, smart cities,
homes, and manufacturing;

- Cyber-physical systems; autonomous vehicles and robotics; traffic
management;- Self-adaptive cybersecurity;- Internet of Things;- Cloud
computing and data centers;- Fog/edge computing;- Hypervisors, operating
systems, and middleware.

Selected papers from ACSOS 2020 will be invited for extensions in ACM
Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems (TAAS).*** Submission
Instructions ***Research papers will be accepted as either long papers
up to 10 pages or short papers up to 7 pages (including references) and
formatted according to the standard IEEE Computer Society Press
proceedings style guide.Please submit your papers electronically in PDF
format using the ACSOS 2020 Easychair
site:https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=acsos20
<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Facsos20.hotcrp.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cp.lewis%40aston.ac.uk%7Cb61b20ceecad4843296e08d783148ef7%7Ca085950c4c2544d5945ab852fa44a221%7C0%7C0%7C637121996626850170&sdata=5%2B0sISjR2cnuXLh49dwlW6ilbfsYVFVMx%2F3Wr1ITt5w%3D&reserved=0>Note
that separate calls for Poster, Demo, and In-Practice Report Submissions
will also be issued, as well as a call for participation in the Doctoral
Symposium.The proceedings will be published by IEEE Computer Society
Press and made available as a part of the IEEE Digital Library. As per
the standard IEEE policies, all submissions should be original, i.e.,
they should not have been previously published in any conference
proceedings, book, or journal and should not currently be under review
for another archival conference. We would also like to highlight IEEE’s
policies regarding plagiarism and Self-plagiarism:
(https://www.ieee.org/publications/rights/plagiarism/id-plagiarism.html
<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ieee.org%2Fpublications%2Frights%2Fplagiarism%2Fid-plagiarism.html&data=02%7C01%7Cp.lewis%40aston.ac.uk%7Cb61b20ceecad4843296e08d783148ef7%7Ca085950c4c2544d5945ab852fa44a221%7C0%7C0%7C637121996626850170&sdata=kWhFTeLRr93L7JtICjvWUd6%2Fdez2MBEv6XinOMENMs0%3D&reserved=0>).
Where relevant and appropriate, accepted papers will also be encouraged
to participate in the Demo or Poster Sessions.*** Review Criteria
***Papers should present novel ideas in the cross-disciplinary research
context described in this call, motivated by problems from current
practice or applied research. Both theoretical and empirical
contributions should be highlighted, substantiated by formal analysis,
simulation, experimental evaluations, or comparative studies.
Appropriate references must be made to related work. Due to the
cross-disciplinary nature of the ACSOS conference, we encourage papers
to be intelligible and relevant to researchers who are not members of
the same specialized sub-field. Authors are also encouraged to submit
papers describing applications. Application papers should provide an
indication of the real-world relevance of the problem that is solved,
including a description of the domain, and an evaluation of performance,
usability, or comparison to alternative approaches. Experience papers
are also welcome, especially if they highlight insights into any aspect
of design, implementation or management of self-* systems that would be
of benefit to practitioners and the ACSOS community. All submissions
will be rigorously peer-reviewed and evaluated based on the quality of
their technical contribution, originality, soundness, significance,
presentation, understanding of the state of the art, and overall
quality.The conference organizers will select one paper to be awarded
the Karsten Schwan Best Paper Award.