Connectionists: Two postdoc positions in Machine Learning Learning and Computer Vision at University of Colorado Colorado Springs

Mohsen Jafarzadeh mohsen.jafarzade at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 14:40:06 EST 2020

Two postdoc positions in Machine Learning Learning and Computer Vision at
University of Colorado Colorado Springs

Dr. Terrance Boult and his team at UCCS are seeking highly motivated
postdoctoral researchers with a strong record of accomplishment in machine
learning and computer vision, ideally with incremental learning, deep
learning, or open-set learning. The postdocs are expected to both do
research, develop software, write papers, and lead/works with students.

Classic machine learning and AI make a closed-world assumption, leading to
fragile systems that cannot label novel inputs as unknown nor handle novel
variations in the world. Very few existing systems can detect novelty and
then learn from previous unknowns – almost all systems misclassify the
unknown. At the core of intelligence is the ability to recognize when we do
not know something, analyze the need to learn about it, and then, when
needed, to adapt and learn it – a process we call open-world learning.

We seek candidates to join our multi-institution efforts exploring four
main research directions:
1) Formalized models for open world learning with extreme-value theory,
2) Semi-supervised and unsupervised incremental learning,
3) Open world learning for object classification and detection, and
4) Open world learning in visual observation of games.

* International candidates with strong English skills will be considered;
we can manage the visa issues.
* The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer; women and
underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.

If you are interested, please apply at

https://cu.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=17908&lang=en